S2 E6.2: Unusual Artists

Cyrus's POV

Wyatt's never been in the car before when Jayda was driving, but somehow his presence is making the chaotic driver into a not horrible one, although the amount of shouting in the car has my stress levels at their max.

"That was a stop sign!" Wyatt yells.

"It was a yield!" Jayda returns.

"Good! You're paying attention!"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

The vehicle turns out of the safety of the neighbourhood and onto the highway, zooming down the onramp at an inconsistent speed.

"Eyes on the road!" Wyatt shouts. "Merge!"

"I'm trying!" Jayda screams.

Her trying turns out to be good enough as the car smoothly blends in with the rest of the traffic. While she whimpers in the driver's seat and Wyatt continues barking orders, I glance back at TJ to see that he's just as amazed as I am at our kids' odd yet effective teamwork.

________________________________________

Jonah's POV

With Marty and Buffy out for the night at Andi's art thing, we were asked to watch Cara at their house. Andi invited us to the gallery opening too, but Walker had already gone to the even more exclusive pre-opening, at which he charmed his way into getting four of his paintings on sale there. He didn't tell Andi that, though, because he didn't want her to feel bad if she didn't get her work in it too. I think another reason Walker opted to watch Cara with me instead of go to the gallery is because he's probably noticed that I've been kinda nervous about getting a kid. Watching your friends' kid isn't the same as having your own, because if you screw up your own kid it feels worse, but babysitting is still good practice.

"Do you want to play Barbie or something?" Walker asks Cara as she comes downstairs into the living room after finishing her homework, which consisted of nothing more than a spelling worksheet.

She shakes her head. "I'm out of those."

Walker's confused by that. "Out of?"

"I want to make bracelets," Cara says instead.

She shoots her wrist out for us to see the seven colourful friendship bracelets striping her arm.

"Those look awesome," I say. "You made them?"

"The girls in my class trade their candy at lunch for bracelets," Cara explains.

"You're bartering with bracelets at school?" Walker says.

"I can't sell things, but trading is allowed, because there isn't money involved," Cara states. "I also like candy."

"Be careful how much you eat," Walker warns her.

"I wanna eat a whole bunch to compensate for when I get diabetes," the girl counters.

"Does anyone in your family have diabetes?" Walker questions.

"No, but if I do get it, I will be sad if I didn't make the most out of my time with candy."

"Cool plan," I say.

Walker gives me a look, but I don't know why. Cara's planning ahead. That's a good thing. I mean, I think it's a good thing.

"So, how do you make these bracelets?" I ask.

"The kit is in my bedroom," Cara says. "I'll go get it."

________________________________________