S4 E2.3: Dada Deficiency

Jonah's POV

I almost drop the guitar I'm in currently hanging on the wall of Red Rooster Records when Wyatt shouts behind me.

"Uncle Jonah I need to learn the guitar!"

Hearing the loud boy, Bowie rushes out from the back of the store, but he's relieved when it's just Wyatt.

"Hi, Bowie," Wyatt says.

I finish putting the guitar on the hooks and turn to him, saying in surprise, "You want to learn the guitar? What made you want to do that?"

Don't get me wrong. I'm pumped that he wants to learn it, but I'm pretty sure last week he told me that guitars were for medieval knight-rejects in tights.

"Me and my friends are starting a band," he explains.

"Cool!" Bowie reacts. "You know I was in a band."

Wyatt clearly doesn't really care as he responds, "Cool, so which one of you wants to teach me?"

I glance to Bowie and shrug then reply, "I got time."

Wyatt follows me over to the nook where I have my guitar waiting on a stand, and he plops down on a chairs. Right away, he grabs one of the other acoustic guitars nearby and grips the neck in a fist as he places it on his lap.

"Okay, let's just fix this first," I say then lean forward and pry his hand off the neck before placing the fingers down loosely over the strings instead.

"Which string is the green button?" Wyatt then questions.

"The what?"

"Like in Rock 'n' Roll Band."

"Uh, there isn't a green button. These are notes. E B G D A E. You can change the note by putting your finger on a string."

Wyatt attempts to do as described, poking one of the strings then whipping his guitar pick down, playing the instrument with the violence of a butcher trying to chop through bone.

As the clashing sound dissolves, he asks, "How do I know what my score is?"

I sigh. "This is gonna be a real beginner lesson huh?"

________________________________________

Buffy's POV

Around 7:00, it should be Declan's bedtime soon, so I go to my room to check on how Marty's doing with him. There, Marty is sitting on our bed, holding Declan in his lap while showing the baby something on a tablet.

"And this is a Jeep Wrangler."

"What'cha doing?" I ask as I enter in.

"He's into cars, so I thought I'd get him educated," Marty explains with a smile.

"Cool. Now he knows every car model and every princess's name," I respond with a chuckle.

"That's why Cara made him have that movie marathon with them?" Marty realizes.

"Mama," Declan chirps out of the blue.

He's not even looking at me. Rather, he's pointing at the picture on the tablet, but Marty still gets a frown. He had high hopes for this day from the beginning, and although he must know it's not personal, he clearly feels defeated. To try to give my husband some comfort, I take a seat next to him on the bed, touching his shoulder gently.

"You know it doesn't mean anything," I affirm. "This is the only sound he's figured out how to make."

"Yeah, I know," Marty mutters.