S4 E8.1: Potty Training

Brayden's POV

Out from the crowded school hallway, Linny slips free and holds up a flyer and a beaming smile. Kelsey shuts her locker and folds her arms and she studies Linny's paper alongside me. I recognize the colourful font lettering immediately.

"Did you steal this from the wall above the water fountain?" I question.

"Yes," Linny confirms. "So?"

"The March Ball," Kelsey reads aloud.

Kelsey and I both furrow our brows, unsure what Linny is trying to tell us, but Linny acts like it's clear.

"Precisely," Linny says. "Aren't you excited?"

"Uh, yeah, sure," Kelsey replies, a tad puzzled. "What movie are we watching that night?"

"No movie," Linny corrects her. "We'll be dancing."

Kelsey and I share a glance, equally as befuddled by the situation at hand. After a moment, Kelsey finally speaks what we're both thinking.

"Since when do you go to dances? You hate crowded social events."

"And loud bass," I add on.

"And strobe lights."

"All true," Linny says. "However, I want to try something new this year. I already confirmed that there won't be strobe lights, since I pointed out to the principle the ableism in having such lighting present when there are surly kids who may have seizures in that type of setting. I also contacted the DJ company to ask for a list of all the songs they'll be playing so I know exactly what to expect—"

"They gave you that?" Kelsey says in surprise.

"No. But they did agree not to blast the music at an ungodly volume. And I don't hate people. Yes, I'm not a fan of a herd of sweaty teenagers, but it's not unbearable."

Kelsey nods. "My apologies. You've thought this through more than I assumed."

"You're forgiven."

"So I'm going to presume we're all going together," I chime in.

That's when Linny's face goes pink as her eyes flutter to the ground and back up. "Well, uh, we could, but also, seeing as this is my first dance and all, I thought maybe I could find a date."

"You want to ask someone out?" Kelsey says, a smile curling. "Who?"

Linny's never shown interest in romance before—romance that's not fictional, I mean—so this is a twist neither of us were expecting. At Kelsey's question, Linny begins laughing nervously and twirling her hair around her fingers.

"No idea yet," she replies. "Um, I've got to get to class. Bye."

She whips around in a whirl of wind, zipping away in a matter of milliseconds.

"She's horrible at lying," Kelsey comments.

"She is," I agree. "But I'd hate to tell her that and damage her pride."

________________________________________

Walker's POV

As I round the wall into the living room, too many questions pop into my head.

"Jonah, why is Austen on the potty while watching Good Luck Charlie?"

Our daughter sits on the plastic seat directly in front of the television, her dress covering to her knees. Jonah is on the couch behind her, monitoring her while reading a comic book.