S2 E12.2: Party Girl

Jayda's POV

Tay holds out her phone with the hand that isn't holding a bottle. She's the kind of person who likes straight whisky. She also thinks life is better when she's hammered, so that's a thing. I can definitely drink more than her and be fine, but I prefer a Smirnoff instead. On Tay's phone is an image of a black and white rose sketch that appears to be dripping away at the bottom. She said one of her friends drew it for her during class, and now she's obsessed with it.

"That's totally cool," Angel says.

"Thanks," Tay responds with a grin. "Next time I'm drunk enough, I'll go get it tattooed."

Interrupting the conversation comes a boy who steps between me and my friends, giving me a grin like he must think he's the shit.

"Excuse me," he says. "I didn't know there'd be a model at this party."

"Sorry," I respond. "Not interested."

"I think if you got to know me a little more, you'd be very interested."

"I think, since you obviously speak English, you should probably figure out what the word 'no' means."

He keeps his chin up as he backs away, keeping up his cool act, at which I roll my eyes. When I turn back to my friends, they're looking at me in shock.

"Jayda!" Angel says. "Why did you do that? He was cute."

"I'm not into him," I say.

Confession: I haven't told my friends about Oceana yet. I know that I probably should, considering it's been months, but they run in different circles anyway, and to be honest, I'm afraid of how they'll react finding out I'm with a girl. Like, they know I have two dads, but having a friend with queer dads is different than having a queer friend.

Angel shakes her head, saying, "We really need to get you a boyfriend."

"I'd love it if you didn't do that," I retort.

Angel rolls her eyes. "Whatever. I'm gonna get another drink."

She starts to walk away, and I follow behind her, feeling annoyed, saying, "Me too."

________________________________________

Marty's POV

"And the money can come out of my college fund," Cara finishes, "because I'm going to join the circus anyway and won't need it." She puts down her ruler and the presentation goes to black. "What do you think?"

"It was a good presentation," I reply. "Kinda long though."

"I was covering all my bases," Cara says.

"Yeah," Buffy says. "So you want a trampoline."

"I thought the presentation made that clear."

"In their defence," Brayden chimes in, looking at Cara, "you were a little all over the place."

"Yeah, we didn't need the part about the average number of rainy days in Shadyside," I say.

"I don't want you guys saying it's too rainy to have one," Cara reasons.

Buffy lets out a breath and looks at me before telling the kids, "You two, go somewhere else. We're gonna talk."

Cara scurries away while Brayden takes his time, but eventually they're both out of the room. With them gone, Buffy focuses on me, her eyebrows raised.

"You want to get it, don't you?" she says.

"I would be kinda fun," I respond.

Her lips curl into a smile. "Fine."