S3 E6.1: Flame Thrower

Cyrus's POV

I've gotten quite comfortable in my new job as a guidance counsellor at Grant High. I assumed I'd see Jayda a lot more often around school than I actually am, but I suppose she probably actively avoids me. Other than her, many of the students have begun to say hi to me in the halls and make conversation. It's a drastic switch from my old job producing films.

"Cyrus," Principal Walter Schroo says as he enters my office, "how are you?"

"Good," I reply while straightening a stack of papers at my desk. "I just finished my last appointment for the day."

"Actually, would you be able to squeeze in one more?"

"I guess so. Who is it?"

"Cayenne Holloway. She pierced her belly button during a science lab, and it's the second time we've had an incident like this with her, so we decided it would be best for her to see you."

I recall one of Jayda's former friends gave herself a tattoo during class once. Why does everyone in this school try to do their own body modifications? How are the teachers not seeing this?

"Bring her in," I say.

"Thanks."

I nod and sit down in my worn-down office chair as the principal motions someone forth, and a girl dressed in all black steps into the room and leans against the doorframe. She chews gum and rolls her heavily-lined eyes. The lightest part of her whole look are the safety pins linking the sleeves of her shirt to the body.

"'Sup," she says.

I smile kindly and gesture to the couch. "Take a seat."

Walter closes the door as Cayenne saunters over to the cushions and drops down onto the couch casually. She puts her black combat boots up on the edge of my desk while folding her arms over her chest, so cool she couldn't be bothered to care about anything. This will certainly be interesting.

"Nice shirt," Cayenne speaks. She nods toward my paisley-patterned button-up.

"Thanks," I respond. "Nice earrings."

"Thanks. I made them."

"Is that a Spotify code?"

She touches one of the striped earrings and grins. "Yeah."

"What song?"

"'Honey,' Kehlani."

I nod, understanding her more already. "I think we're off to a good start."

________________________________________

Brayden's POV

It took me a while to teach Deion the rules of cribbage, but even after many failed attempts, he kept insisting we try again. His persistence paid off, for now we're at the kitchen table in my house with the cribbage board between us and our cards piled up. My left hand sits on the table while I ponder my next move, but a tap to my pinky makes me notice Deion's hand sitting right beside mine. His pinky wasn't touching mine before, but now it is. He deliberately did this, and it makes me smile. My heart pounds even harder as his finger slides overtop of mine, resting with his our knuckles overlapped. I can't even think of the game anymore. I'm internally panicking. I flick my eyes up to Deion's, but he looks at his cards, pretending he doesn't notice our pinkies together. I don't question it, for I don't want it to stop.

"Marty, look what came in the mail," my mom announces as she enters the kitchen.

She brings an envelope over to my dad who stands by the island with a bowl of week-old pasta. Dad stares at the paper that Buffy unfolds, then he lets out a chuckle.