S1 E1.2: Pilot

Amber's POV

It's been nearly three quarters of an hour, and we've only moved what I could walk in five minutes. I'm trying to stay positive, focusing on the blue of the sky and the colourful flowers growing on the grass along the road, but Andi's aggravation only continues to grow.

"'Baby on board,' my ass," Andi barks, glaring at the car next to us. "There's no baby in that car!"

"How come Mom gets to swear, and I can't?" Hazel chimes from the backseat.

"When you can drive, you can swear," I reply.

Hazel lets out a huff and sinks back into her seat cushion. "You know this wouldn't have happened if we hadn't chosen to go to the bakery before going to Uncle TJ and Uncle Cyrus's, and you had just made the dessert."

"As far as your uncles will know, we did make the dessert," I retort.

I honestly can't bake for the life of me, and Andi was busy working on a sculpture for a company she was commissioned by, so really, buying a cake was the only solution. Yes, I could've tried making one, but I figured my friends and brother probably wouldn't want their kids getting food poisoning tonight.

"Also, Shauna at the bakery gives us free cookies when we go there," I add.

________________________________________

Buffy's POV

"Kids, come on! It's time to go!" I call.

My eldest son comes running up the stairs from the basement, and my attention immediately goes to the scent that hits me as the fourteen year-old passes by in his T-shirt and jeans.

"Are you wearing body spray?" I question.

"Just a little."

"Why are you wearing body spray?"

"The chicks dig it," he says with a grin.

Footsteps sound out from behind, followed by the kiss on my head as Marty's arms wrap around me. But I can't process my husband's gesture right now. I'm too focused on my son's bizarre desire to smell like some kind of upper-class cedar tree.

"Marty, Andreas is wearing body spray."

"Ah, that explains why your room smells like a forest," Marty says to our son.

"I'm just tryna smell good for the ladies," Andreas says with a charming smile.

"The only ladies you're seeing tonight are your cousins," I remind him.

"Yeah, and the second you let your guard down, that's when they get you."

He continues on walking toward the mud room, leaving me only more confused.

"What does that mean?" I ask.

"No idea," Marty replies.

I forget about my first sone as soon as my second comes down from the upstairs in a neon orange, knit sweater that I've never seen before. I used to question him about where he gets some of his clothes, since it seems like he always has new items that I don't recognize, but honestly, as long as he's wearing clothes, and he's not in jail, I don't really care.

"Brayden, you're going to get your shoes on?" I check.

"I was," the eleven year-old sasses. "But because you asked that, I might just go barefoot instead."

"Of course," I breathe as the boy carries on across the hardwood floor of the living room.

"Just one more," Marty says.