S3 E11.1: Driving Force

Andreas's POV

The second I step into the kitchen, my parents stand up straighter and spin around with huge smiles, but then they see that it's me, and they sink again.

"Oh," Mom says.

"Gotta love a warm welcome," I say dryly.

"Is your sister still sleeping?" Mom asks.

I shrug. "I think she's brushing her teeth."

As I walk toward the pantry, I notice all the streamers and balloons hung up around the kitchen. They drape down like curtains over the cupboards, spiralled like liquorice, with the balloons like bubblegum balls along them.

"What's with the decorations?" I question.

"It's Cara's birthday, you dingus," Brayden answers from the table.

"Oh, shit. I need to get her a gift," I remember.

"A little late," Dad comments.

"Still earlier than last year," Brayden says.

The sound of glass hitting the counter turns us all, and there below a cupboard is Cara taking out a water glass while trying to be quiet.

"Poop," she mutters.

"Happy birthday!" Mom says.

My sister presses her lips tight in a thin smile before responding dully, "Thanks."

"How do you feel?" Dad asks her.

She goes over to the fridge to get juice for her glass. Her neon hair spills onto her shoulders in ringlets, and she sweeps some out of her face. She's got on a T-shirt that used to be mine—a purple and grey, vertical-striped one with a Quicksilver logo—with some white cargo pants. This year has definitely been a turning point in her style. She went from over-the-top to pretty normal in months—well, if you ignore the yellow hair.

"Thirsty," Cara replies to the question.

She takes the cranberry juice from the fridge—skipping over the apple juice, even though I'm pretty sure we only buy that for her—and pours it into her glass.

"We'll do gifts and cake tonight, okay?" Mom says.

Cara sits down her glass on the counter and says, "Thanks. I'm gonna finish doing my hair for school."

"You still have an hour," Mom tells her. "You can eat breakfast first."

"That's okay," Cara replies. "I don't like breakfast."

Mom looks at her in confusion. "I don't understand."

"Sorry," is all Cara responds.

She leaves her half-empty glass of juice on the counter and retreats back upstairs.

"Mysterious," Brayden comments.

My mom turns to my dad and asks him, "Was that normal?"

"I don't know," Dad answers. "None of our kids are normal."

"Andreas is pretty normal," Brayden speaks up, "sometimes painfully so."

"Was that supposed to be mean?" I ask.

"Not at all," he says, but I'm pretty sure it's sarcastic. "By the way, I got the toaster out for you."

________________________________________

TJ's POV

"Cyrus, you ready to go?"

"Yeah."