S2 E7.2: New Year's Eve

Andreas's POV

I'm just chilling by the stairs when I get a text from Jayda.

Jayda: Hey, so the doorknob kinda broke off, and we're locked in the storage room. Can u get someone to fix it? Pretty please :)

Me: It broke off?

Jayda: Well, it's not on the door anymore so...

Me: Ok. I'm on it.

I push myself away from where I was leaning on the wall and go over to the kitchen to get my one of my parents, but then I see that my dad's in the middle of Celia and Grandma's war, both women watching him with hawk eyes as he chews a bit of each pie. On the side, my mom stands with Amber and Andi, all three of them looking highly concerned.

"Whose do you like best?" my grandma asks.

"I love both," Dad replies.

Celia's smile goes flat as she says, "Unfortunately, that's not an option."

Deciding not to step into that fire, I instead go into the living room where Cyrus, TJ, Jonah and Walker are all seated around, talking.

"Hey," I interrupt, "do any of you know how to fix a doorknob?"

All heads turn to TJ who stands up, saying, "I'm sure I can figure it out."

He follows me down to the basement and down the hall to the last door, and sure enough, the knob is lying on the carpet. I kneel down to grab it, feeling a little surprised even though I don't know what else I was expecting.

"Damn," I mutter. "She wasn't exaggerating."

"Andreas?" comes Oceana's voice through the wood. "Is the doorknob getting fixed?"

"Yup," I answer.

"I've never fixed a doorknob before," TJ tells me, "so I'll have to Google it, but I'm pretty sure I need a screwdriver."

"Those are in the garage," I say.

He nods and starts to walk back down the hall. Before I join him, I lean up to the door once more to inform the girls.

"It's gonna be a bit," I say, "so hang in there."

"Like we have a choice," Jayda's voice retorts.

Her sass makes me laugh a little as I respond, "Love the positive attitude."

________________________________________

Hazel's POV

I wait on a chair in the basement with Brayden, Cara, and Watt sitting on the rest of the furniture until Bex, or Grams, and Bowie, or Gramps, show up. In her hands, Grams is holding a box for a board game, and she has a smile way bigger than that game calls for. What game? Property.

"We found the perfect game," she says.

"My daddy told me that game shatters friendships," Wyatt speaks up.

"Come on," Gramps pushes. "I used to play this with my cousins at every holiday."

"I don't care what we play," Cara says with a smirk. "I'm going to crush all of you."

Grams looks a little put off by my cousin's determination, but she begins setting up the game anyway. While she unfolds the game board and takes out the pieces, Brayden makes his own comment.

"Property is the board game embodiment of the American dream," he states. "It suggests that, with hard work, you can prosper."

"I thought hot dogs and baseball was the American dream," Wyatt responds.