Dec.29.15/Tearing Down My Barriers (2/2)

Track #5: Mercy

***

Shawn's POV

December 29, 2015

Once again Camila intertwines her hand with mine, and not to complain but I've noticed she's doing it more and more often. And like the fool my sister said I am, I blush as I squeeze her hand lightly to check that this is really happening. She smiles sweetly and strokes my hair with her free hand.

- It's getting longer with time. - She mentions still fiddling with the strands of hair behind my neck. It feels so good.

- You think so? - I frown, looking at my reflection in the vase of sunflowers to my left. I guess she's right.

- Camila! Come help me! - Sinu's voice interrupts her as she was about to respond.

Without being asked, I follow her into the kitchen where Sinu finishes serving the food she kindly prepared for Andrew and me. Where is he? I reach over to take the plates from Sinu's hands but Camila intercepts me right away.

- No, I'll do it. You go take a seat at the table. - She orders me, pointing her bony finger at me.

- Let me help.

I go around her avoiding her but somehow end up trapped in her arms, which hold me firmly around the waist preventing me from moving. The heat I feel in my lower back is definitely doing things to me... Damn!

I surrender to her strength, which is pretty amazing considering she's smaller than me, and wait for her to set me free. She laughs pushing me out of the kitchen assuring me she'll be back in a minute. I take a seat in the dining room while I wait for her and Drew shows up to keep me company... along with Camila's father who I haven't had the pleasure of meeting, even though I've been friends with his daughter for a little over a year. The Canadian in me makes me stand up out of politeness and make eye contact with him, just before I extend my hand to shake his.

- So you're Shawn Mendes. - He mumbles, shaking my hand harder than necessary. Is he trying to intimidate me? Because if so, he's succeeding.

- Yes, Mr. Cabello. It's nice to finally meet you. - I mutter with a serious look on my face.

- Likewise.

He keeps his gaze fixed on my eyes as he takes a seat in the chair that very conveniently faces mine. I swallow, wringing my hands under the table, anxious for Camila to finally come and save me. I feel like I'm drowning with every passing minute. Stop overreacting, Shawn...

I sigh more relieved when Camila enters the room with Sinu following her carrying a neat glass tray. They both smile at the sight of our more-than-obvious tension-filled faces and Camila deposits a plate in front of me with what looks like Italian food. I would never have expected to see something like this in this house, knowing my best friend's cultural roots beforehand. Yes, I'm allowed to think that word. On the other hand, her saying it still hurts me.

- I'm falling for your eyes, but they don't know me yet. And with a feeling I'll forget, I'm in love now... - I hear her humming next to me as she pours drinks for everyone.

- Is that Kiss Me by Ed? - I ask grateful for the distraction. Alejandro still doesn't look away from me, even though he's having a hushed conversation with Drew.

- Yes, one of my favorite songs lately. - She smiles, sitting down next to me, as close as she can get.

- I wonder why. - Sinu murmurs with her secret smile.

Alejandro snorts across the table and Camila blushes. I notice how she hides her face behind her hair so no one will look at her, but being so close to her it's almost impossible. It reminds me of that time in Nevada when I caught her on the carpet and the photographers made a fuss about it. She looked adorable then, even more so now.