March.30.20/Locked In (4/4)

Track #34: 24 Hours

***

Shawn's POV

March 30, 2020

"Welcome back to the news channel with the latest reports from the city of Miami at 8:45 AM this Monday. Despite the emergency alert sent to citizens in recent days from the CDC in relation to public safety and having been declared curfew in major counties, the State of Florida faces another wave of infections of the novel coronavirus, discovered last year 2019 that is still under investigation, exceeding 15 thousand confirmed cases today. In response to this situation, the governor of Florida, Ron DeSantis, has just issued an executive order to instruct citizens to "pause" for 30 days and stay at home..."

Oh, come on! Fuck it! Am I never going to be able to leave here?

Well, Shawn, it's your fault for believing that everything would be solved soon in the hands of this nefarious government that started to take serious measures when it's clearly too late....

I am not a saint nor am I going to try to deny the fact that I have gone out with Mila these days for short walks around the neighborhood or to go to her parents' house just to say hello, obviously within what we know is allowed in the restrictions already imposed. And even then, we have been careful staying away from unknown neighbors and a singular paparazzi who has been following us since he discovered where we live, invading our privacy. I know that's how they make a living and I respect that, especially when jobs are scarce now, but it's still annoying to know that every time I walk out the door I'll see him standing on the same corner waiting to take pictures of us.

 I know that's how they make a living and I respect that, especially when jobs are scarce now, but it's still annoying to know that every time I walk out the door I'll see him standing on the same corner waiting to take pictures of us

On the other hand, something very different is going off in big groups to party and "enjoy the good life'' on crowded beaches, which I don't understand why they're still open to begin with. Like we aren't in the middle of a big shitty world crisis! It's so fucking frustrating to not be empowered enough to prevent it.

I know being locked up in one place for so long isn't good for anyone, but we need to put in some effort and be a wee bit more considerate of ourselves and the community, right? What does it cost them to follow a simple order and keep a physical social distance? It is unbelievable that because of a few irresponsible people we are immersed in this giant chaos with no way out.

- Babe, relax! Gosh...- Mum tries to cheer me up after listening to my long tirade on the phone that I dragged her into. - Take advantage of these days to really rest. You haven't been able to sit still in one place since... what, five years ago?

- This whole thing sucks, Mum.

- I know. But what else can we do, honey?

Mum smiles sweetly at me, the little wrinkles forming at the corners of her blue eyes as bright as stars that I would have loved to have, full of understanding, love and hope. I want to burst into tears for not being able to be there with her. With everyone, really. I miss them too much. My family, my team, my friends... even my annoying sister.