Dec.4.18/Friends (2/3)

Track #17: If I Can't Have You

***

Shawn's POV

December 4, 2018.

Her soft perfume invades my nostrils despite being three feet away from her and causes me to lose focus of whatever my sister is saying on the phone. I watch her self-absorbed without making a sound, enjoying her presence in this small room where we take a break from Jingle Ball here in Boston. She tucks a lock of hair behind her ear that keeps slipping out of position blocking her view of her hands, busy playing the chords of a song I don't recognize on my borrowed guitar.

She gently sits better on the carpeted floor to be more comfortable with her legs crossed and snorts as her hair falls back into her face. I smile at her displeasure but say nothing. She struggles a bit with the strings as she transitions between the unfamiliar song and one of the year's biggest hit singles, Havana. She's trying to remember what I taught her a few minutes ago and she's actually doing pretty well. She is obsessed with learning to play her own songs on piano and guitar and I will gladly help her.

Speaking of guitars, I'm back to the annoying conversation with my sister who finds herself begging me to let her take a few of my old t-shirts to do a school project.

- No, Aaliyah. You can't borrow my stuff.

- But Shawn... - She whines.

- No, last time you damaged one of my guitars. - I claim somewhat annoyed at the memory of the incident. - I'll call mum to keep an eye on you.

- You're so grumpy. - She mumbles in a bored tone.

- You little monster, you know. I'll call mum, you better not come in my room. - I threaten her, part jokingly, part seriously.

- You shouldn't even have a room if you've already moved out! - She exclaims loudly before hanging up.

- Wow, you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon. - Camila whispers, shaking her head and looking at me in amusement.

She has stopped playing the guitar for a moment to analyze the situation in front of her: a young adult arguing with her younger sister over what seems to be nonsense. She should get it; I bet Sofía has also pulled her patience a few times.

- Quoting Harry Potter, really? - I joke putting my phone back in my pocket. - What a nerd...

- I'm guilty but so are you. - She smiles knowingly at my fanaticism for the movie series. - I shouldn't tell you this because I don't want you to cry.... - She mentions pouting as she picks up the guitar again.

- What? - She has piqued my curiosity.

- I'm going... to Oxford in a few weeks, just before Christmas. - That's all she says but there's no need to clarify anything.

I understand there are at least five locations in Oxford that were used to recreate the stories in the books. Where exactly Camila will go I don't know, but how cool it would be to see those places.

 Where exactly Camila will go I don't know, but how cool it would be to see those places