Dec.31.19/Home (2/3)

(I'm putting extra effort into these long chapters...I got something in my eye writing this one).

Track #31: First Man

***

Camila's POV

December 31, 2019

I pore over every bottle on my boyfriend's shelf full of hair products and am amazed at how many there are. No wonder he always smells so good, I think with a chuckle, applying some of his chocolate-scented shampoo to my own curls. I'm in the shower getting ready for tonight's big party with all his family and close friends. It wasn't planned, but together we all did our bit to celebrate as we should and start this New Year full of hope with great enthusiasm.

I rinse myself and turn off the hot water that has me surrounded by steam like it was a sauna, and I almost hit my face against the toilet for not paying attention on the way. I'm just as clumsy, if not clumsier than my boyfriend sometimes....

I hear him in the distance as I walk out to his bedroom and I think I hear my sister's voice as well. They must be on video call or something, reporting what they've been doing this couple of days at home at my request. If it was her decision, Sofia would already be on a plane here just to see Shawn. The affection those two have for each other makes me envious, the good kind.

I dry my hair analyzing my outfit spread out on the bed. It's not what I would normally wear, much less in this weather, but if Shawn likes it then I can't complain. Karen and Aali dragged me along with them for a day of shopping and convinced me to purchase that little black satin dress. The whole family will be in sleek black from head to toe, and well...I guess I'm included there. My high heels, accessories, lace gloves and silver mask rest to the side. It's going to be a disco-themed masquerade ball.

I'm applying the final touches of makeup to my face when I hear papá's voice. Curious, I approach the door out of Shawn's sight to find out what these two men who own my heart are talking about.

- So... you took my daughter away, young man.

I stifle a chuckle at papá's reproachful tone, doing his best to make himself understood in English. Poor Shawn...

- Technically I didn't force her to do it, Sir....

- Yes, I know that. But still... it's a little weird not seeing her around on these holidays.

Awws, papá... My heart is pounding as I imagine him at home with his usual well-ironed red shirt and a tray of croquetas in front of him, exclusively for his consumption. Mamá must be setting the table with toast glasses full of champagne and a bowl of grapes for the traditional ritual: eating one grape for each month of the year, for twelve months of prosperity and good luck; something they don't do here in Canada.

- I won't take up too much of your time, Shawn. I just wanted to... ask you for a favor.

- Yes, of course. What is it?

- Karla is... my everything. I guess you already know that. As hard as it is for me to admit... I know you're a good man for her.

Oh my goodness. Now I'm crying.

- To be honest with you, I've never seen her so happy and confident before than in these past few months, and I understand that you have something to do with that. So...from the bottom of my heart...I'm asking you to keep looking out for her for me, even when I'm acting like a pain in the ass and want to kick you out of my house at any second.

Shawn laughs with barely a word, probably as shocked as I am.

- Sinuhé trusts you, Sofi adores you and Karla loves you. If that's not a sign to have you on board in this family one hundred percent, then I don't know what is... Please love her with all your heart until your chest hurts, because that's the kind of love I feel for her. Can you promise me that?