July.13.19/I'll Risk It All (3/4)

Track #25: Used To This

***

Camila's POV

July 13, 2019

Quickly, quickly! I wait anxiously for the elevator doors to close and take me to the third floor. I should have taken the stairs instead... The suitcase weighs on my back like I'm carrying giant rocks and it's just some clothes, and my laptop of course. I would have loved to get straight home to get rid of this and say hello to my family among other things, but I'm in a hurry... And this stupid elevator is slower than a turtle!

I'm about to drop to the floor from the exhaustion I have from the ride I've been on for the past few hours. Shawn warned me not to travel like this all of a sudden and take it easy, but I really had to be here today. It is very important.

Ding! I run down the endless hallway as soon as the doors open, bumping headlong into my manager who looks at me somewhere between annoyed and entertained to see me arriving like crazy, probably with my hair in disarray and my plaid shirt half on. I know I'm late...

- Is he inside? - I ask agitated after greeting him and point to the door on my right.

- Yes, as I promised Camila.

- Sweet Gian, thank you! - I jump into his arms excited and he laughs. - Thank you, really.

- It's ok.

- No, really. Thank you. - I look him straight in the eyes to make him believe me. - Despite all the trouble I got you into, you did this for me.

- You're welcome. - He smiles with a shrug. - And forget about it. It's all good now, at least we can profit from it. It's free publicity.

- That's funny. - I say sarcastically and punch his arm.

- But Camila, don't do this to us again. - He warns me seriously. - One more scandal and I don't know what we'd do. So please don't even think about breaking up with Shawn.

What an overreaction! For God's sake...

- Technically that's not up to me alone but I'll do what I can. - I smile innocently at him and he rolls his eyes. - It's going to be okay G-zus, even if I end up a lonely decrepit old lady.

He laughs at my idiocy picking up his phone worried for some reason when he looks at the screen, but a second later he smiles again as if nothing happened. How suspicious... He looks at me again picking up the sleeves of his jacket and it's my cue to say goodbye.

- See you later...

- In fact... - I interrupt him with a nervous chuckle. - From here I leave for the airport.

- Where to? - He frowns intrigued by this latest news.

- Mmm...

- Let me guess. - He tilts his head in amusement. - Shawn?

- You hit the nail right on the head. - I punch his side and he just sighs.

- Be careful. - He warns me, hugging me tightly.

- As always. - I assure him with a smile. - Bye!

I watch him walk down the hall, waving goodbye before he enters the elevator. I'm glad we can have a more civilized working relationship now, the drama is behind us. Like he said, it's all good now. It certainly couldn't be better...

Okay, let's not keep him waiting any longer. I open the door to the darkened studio and the first thing I see is a large portable sound system in the foyer. You came more than prepared Finneas... The aforementioned guy is poking around in the recording booth, maybe testing the microphones, and is startled when I tap him on the shoulder.