Oct.20.20/World Without You (1/2)

Track #37: Can't Imagine

***

Shawn's POV

October 20, 2020

I'm already realizing that it wouldn't be a normal day if the Cabello Estrabao didn't throw a party for no apparent reason in the middle of the week.

Since the first single of this new era was released and has been well received by the audience, according to my manager, I was quite ready to work early on a couple of other details before the official release of the album but... it was impossible to concentrate on something specific with so much hype going on around me.

To my great surprise, I decided to put aside my controlling impulses to do everything as per my schedule for the next few weeks, postponing all my plans with the team for another time, and instead let myself be enveloped in the exuberant joy that characterizes this wonderful family with its unique Latin culture.

A mix of rancheras, ballads, salsa and reggaeton alternate on the speakers blaring in the spacious living room at my girlfriend's house, and I'm practically making a fool of myself in front of Alejandro with my poor knowledge of Spanish. Since Camila is out with Sinu doing her morning round of exercises around town, neither of them are here to help me; but that's okay, I'll have to learn the language, if only by force.

The truth is that I have no choice if I want to stay here with all of them... Or I will have to pack my bags and go back to Canada; it's as simple as that. Either way I must remember to keep my phone handy to make a note if I have any doubts left, and there are more and more... May God have mercy on me.

With a sweet smile, la abuela Mercedes wanders around the kitchen serving Ale and me her famous *pasteles de guayaba that I have heard Camila talk so much about all quarantine. She wasn't lying, they taste like paradise itself.

- *¿Están buenos, verdad? - Mercedes looks at me with amusement at the look of satisfaction I must have on my face.

- *Me... encantan. Muchas gracias, Señora.

She laughs congratulating me on my perfect pronunciation which I am more than proud of no matter how basic it is and encourages me to eat more of her delicious pastries, while next to me Ale pushes in my direction a cup of freshly brewed coffee, catching me off guard when he uncaps a bottle of tequila and pours some into both of our drinks.

- Isn't it a little early for that? - I mutter fearing to upset him at my rejection.

- It's never too early for tequila, mijo. - He mockingly assures me, clinking his cup with mine.

With nothing more to say, I shrug my shoulders and agree with him and his little invention is actually excellent; I wasn't expecting it. A few minutes later I find myself drinking another cup while we have a pleasant conversation in which thank heaven he didn't force me to speak in his native language because I've already made it very clear that I'm a real mess.

An insistent beeping on my wristwatch catches my attention and I excuse myself for a moment to go turn off the stove where I left some of mum's special tea brewing with the intention of giving it to Sofia who is about to "die" on the living room couch, thanks to a slight cold that has her in a rather irritating temper since she returned from London with her mother and sister a few days ago. The family dogs accompany her in her misery occupying much of the couch.

- Niña... - I whisper, sitting down next to her motionless figure.

I pause the series she was watching on TV and tap her on the shoulder to wake her up from the trance she's in. She blinks focusing her reddish eyes on me, mask on, all disheveled and without a hint of energy in her body.