3.5 Asher Adams

Author's Note: sorry I've been behind on this mini-series. I've been letting the past few episodes go by so I can kind of plot how I want this series to go as I don't want the reader to follow Olivia's addiction storyline. I will continue with this series, just be patient with me as I try to navigate this plot.

Also, this isn't proof read. Oops. Sorry, not sorry. It's been a crazy week. Enjoy!

***

Y/N walked down the stairs. As she looked up she saw Asher with Vanessa. She had given him a bag and noticed the smile on his face when he realized what was inside the bag. He looked genuinely happy with her nice gesture of bringing him sweet bread.

Y/N's heart sank as she realized not that long ago, her and Asher were walking down these steps together.

"I've missed this. You. Me. Us," Asher said as he reached for Y/N's hand as they walked down the stairs.

Y/N let out a small giggle and smiled at him. She linked her fingers with his. "Babe, I see you every day in class."

"I know," he smiled back at her and squeezed her fingers. "But between me trying to prove Montes and your busy schedule. It's been zero "us" time."

"I know, but things will get better," she said. I hope, she thought to herself.

Asher felt like there was this weird and uncomfortable tension between them two. And, he knew it was his fault. Yes, Y/N said it was okay, but he couldn't help but think it was because he had somewhat told the truth about Vanessa.

"Hey," he hesitated for a second. "We're good, right?"

"Yup."

That didn't sound so convincing.

"The whole Vanessa summer thing?" He pressed on a little bit more.

Y/N stopped in her tracks in the middle of the hallway. She turned to look at him, with her hand still in his. She gave it a gentle squeeze, "Ash, I meant what I said after you told me. We're good. Summer's gone," she lied through her teeth.

The morning bell broke her memory. She noticed Asher was already gone, but Vanessa was standing there by herself. She looked a little disappointed. Possibly hurt, just like Y/N.

Y/N turned on her heel and ran to the nearest bathroom. She checked all the bathrooms before she leaned against the wall closest to the door and slid down. She pulled her knees to her chest and wrapped her arms around herself.

She sniffled as her eyes began to fill up with tears. She quickly brushed them off her cheeks when she heard the door open. A pair of Jordans stood in front of hers. She knew exactly who they belonged to because she saved up three checks to buy him the pair last Christmas.

She slowly looked up and saw Asher standing there. Before she could ask what he's doing in the girls bathroom, he spoke, "I saw you rush in here with tears in yours eyes... I just wanted to see if you're okay."

Y/N rolled her head down and rested her forehead on her forearms. She closed her eyes and took in a breath. She didn't want to see him when she spoke. "It's just hard. All of it. And as much as I want to talk to you about it, I can't. Which sucks even more because," she looked up with more tears in her eyes. "You were my best friend before you became my boyfriend."

Asher's throat tightened. It was the truth. But there was a reason why Asher broke things up. She knew about Vanessa, lied about it, failed to mention her surprise trip to see him. As much as he wanted to blame her for his reasoning to break up with her, he was at fault too. He changed over the summer and a part of it was because of Vanessa. If he hasn't met her, would he have changed and realized what he really wants out of life, and who he wants to be as a person?

"I'm sorry, Y/N," Asher whispered. He cleared his throat. "I just wanted to see if you were okay.  I better get to class," he exited the bathroom and left a sobbing Y/N. It killed him. He still loves her but he knew this break up was for the best. They needed to spend some time apart.