3.3 - Asher Adams

"It'll be fine," Y/N reassured Asher as they walked towards the door. She almost reached in for his hand, but fought against it. With everything that happened over the summer, she still hesitated being affectionate towards him. It didn't mean she didn't love him. She wasn't sure if he still loved her.

Asher opened the door and let Y/N walk in first. She stopped in her tracks when she saw Lyla and Spencer infront of Simone's table. "Hi, guys. I didn't realize this was like a double date. Jordan invited us."

"Hmm, sort of," Asher said. It was more of Y/N inviting themselves to avoid hanging out and talking to Asher alone.

"Where is he?" Simone asked.

"Oh!" Crap, Y/N thought to herself. "Um, he had to go to, um-" She fumbled with coming up with a lie. She turned to Asher for help. "Where did he say he was going?"

"Home," Asher answered honestly again.

"Because he knew I'd be here?" Spencer asked, now suddenly realizing why his girlfriend planned a secret double date with Simone.

"No, no," Y/N immediately protested. "I mean- You know, he's-"

"Yeah, man. He saw you walk in when we were at the valet," Asher admitted.

"Why would you say that?" Y/N asked him.

"Well i'm not gonna lie to him."

"So it's just the 5 of us," Lyla said.

However, she spoke too soon as JJ walked towards them with Vanessa trailing behind him and with the biggest smile on his face. "Oh, whats up? What's up, my peeps?"

"Oh, come on." Asher groaned.

"This was a really bad idea," Simore said.

"Yup," Lyla agreed.

"Well, I'm sure most of you already know my lovely date, Vanessa," JJ introduced to the group. No one seemed happy to meet her with the exception of JJ, who was really excited he was on a date with her.

"We're gonna need a bigger table," Spencer smiled, trying his best not to laugh at the situation.

The guys moved a couple of tables together as the girls grabbed the chairs. They all sat down without anyone saying a single word. There was an awkward tension and everyone felt it. Spencer suggested a game of pool, leaving the girls to talk amongst themselves.

"Guys, this is love at first sight," JJ said almost with a sigh. He was in love. It was obvious with the smile on his face.

"No, it's not," Asher immediately said.

"The moment I asked V out, I knew she was the one," JJ said.

"Wait. V?" Asher asked, slightly annoyed.

"I know it's corny, but we already have nicknames. I call her V."

"What does she call you?" Spencer asked JJ.

"Well, she doesn't have a nickname for me yet."

Asher shook his head. "JJ, this is not gonna end well."

"Why do you care?" Spencer asked Asher. There was something about Asher that was off. It was almost as if he was bothered by the idea of JJ being with Vanessa. Spencer couldn't help that inkling feeling in the back of his head as he knew Asher's summer secret. He looked back at JJ and smiled at him, "look, I hope it works out, man."

"Thanks, Spence."

Asher hit the last ball into the pocket. "Game! Next."

Spencer and JJ ignored Asher and left to get a refill on their drinks. Vanessa noticed Asher was by himself and now was the perfect time to confront him.