Part 11: New Roommate

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. You'll be fine, I thought to myself. You can face Asher if you see him.

I opened my eyes and knocked on the door. I heard a pair of footsteps grow louder as they rushed to the door. The front door swung open. Mr. Adams' face screamed 'panic!"

Before I could ask him if he was okay, he said, "Y/N, so you by any chance know how to make eggs? I have them cooking on the stove, but I think it's starting to smoke."

My eyes widened. "You left them cooking on the stove?!"

Mr. Adams groaned and immediately rushed back to the kitchen. I closed the door behind me and quickly followed him. When we arrived, the smoke was rising from the pan. He quickly grabbed the pan and put it under the kitchen sink, letting cold water cool off the ruined eggs. I opened the kitchen door, letting the smoke and smell out. Once he rinsed out the pan and I got rid of the smoke, we looked at each other and bursted out laughing.

"How in the world do you not know how to cook eggs, Mr. Adams?" I giggled.

He smiled and shook his head. "Honestly, I never had to cook. We have always been more of a takeout kind of family, at least until my ex-wife left. I figured now would be a good time to start to learn how to cook some meals and save some money."

My smile completely disappeared. I didn't mean to bring up his Asher's mom, especially since Asher told me Mr. Adams had been drinking more since she left. Mr. Adams looked good and happy. I didn't want to ruin that and possibly drive him back to the darkness he seemed to get himself out of.

"Hey," he grabbed the kitchen towel I had and slung it over his shoulder. "It's okay." I cleared my throat, unsure what to say. "Asher's asleep right now, but I'll tell him you stopped by."

"I actually came here to see you. My parents wanted me to drop this off for you," I pulled out an envelope from my big purse and slid it across the kitchen island towards Mr. Adams.

"Asher told me working with your parents was your idea. I want you to know I appreciate it."

"Can I be completely honest with you?" I swallowed hard, unsure if he would be okay with my bluntness. He nodded, signaling me to continue. "I did it!because I know how much Asher cares about you and he wants to work things out with you despite you kicking him out on the street." He exhaled as my words clearly stung him. "I don't like what you did either, but," I hesitated for a second, "I love your son and I'm gonna support him always and help him as best as I can."

His eyes welled up a bit and smiled at me. "It's nice to know Asher has someone like you. He's very lucky."

"I don't know if he feels that way," I mumbled as Asher and I still hadn't talked since Chris' party.

"He told me what happened and he feels terrible. That's why he's been trying to call you, but you're not giving him a chance to explain and apologize. I think it's a little unfair that you're not giving him the opportunity to explain himself to you again after your house got robbed."

Although he was completely right, I was still shocked by his honesty.

"What?" He chuckled. "If you're gonna be brutally honest with me, I'm gonna do the same, especially when it comes to Asher. I love my son, too, and I know you are the best thing that has ever happened to him. I'd hate to see him lose you."

Now, my eyes welled up. I looked down and a tear slid down my cheek. I wiped it with the back of my hand. Things were so simpler when I hid my feelings for Asher and he was just a roommate. Acting on our feelings seemed to have caused more pain than joy. I wanted to be with Asher, but I was tired of constantly feeling more hurt than loved. I don't want to force Asher into loving me, but I need him show me he genuinely cares about me or give me at least one reason to stay.