Love Your Melon (Cody x Reader)

Warning: Reader having cancer

---

Y/N and Cody stood next to each other as they looked down at the bathroom counter. They both stared at the pair of scissors and an electric razor.

A couple of months ago, Y/N found a lump on her right breast. She went to the doctor and he confirmed she had Stage 2 breast cancer. Cody made sure she had the best doctors that would give her the best treatments possible and surgeries she would need to beat cancer's ass. Within a couple of weeks, Y/N started her rounds of chemo. After the fifth treatment, a strand of her hair came out while brushing her hair. She knew this was bound to happen, but she wasn't expecting it this soon.

Which led to this moment. Y/N told Cody she wanted to rip the Band-Aid off and shave her head. Cody fully supported her decision and wanted to help. He'd be there for her when she did it.

Y/N swallowed hard as her nerves washed over her body, causing goosebumps to appear on every inch of her body. "Are we really doing this?"

Cody reached for her hand and nodded. "Yes."

"I change my mind."

"What? Why?" Cody asked a bit surprised. He looked up and away from the scissors and razor to look at his worried girlfriend. "This is what you wanted, remember?"

"I know, but I don't want to do it anymore."

"Why not?" He asked as he rubbed small circles on her hand with his thumb.

"What if my head is weirdly shaped and not evenly round like it should be? What if I make a horrible looking bald person? To the point where people just look at me weird, or worse, feel sorry for me? What if no one loves me as a bald-headed girl?" Her voice grew smaller after each question.

"If that's your lame attempt of wondering if you think I won't love you that was terrible. Also, you're completely wrong. I love you regardless if you look like a cone head-"

"A cone head?!" She shrieked. "Is that what people are going to call me?!"

Cody realized his wrong choice of words as it obviously added more to her worries. He sighed as he grabbed on to her shoulders and looked directly into her watery eyes. "Baby girl, you shouldn't give a fuck what others will think of you. You're going through something most people will never understand. Don't let a bunch of strangers' opinions get to you, okay?"

She sighed as she nodded. She leaned in and hugged him tight. "You're right. I'm sorry."

"It's okay, and if makes you feel any better, you'll be the only cone head I want and love."

Y/N chuckled, "that's the last time you get to call me that."

"Deal," he chuckled as he kissed her forehead head. "Are you ready?"

"No, but let's do it." She unraveled herself from his embrace and turned around to face the mirror. She grabbed the scissors and grabbed a chunk of her hair with the other hand. "I'm really going to miss my beautiful hair."

"I will too, but don't worry. It'll grow back, baby girl."

She nodded at him and took a deep breath. She placed her hair between the scissors and cut the first chunk. She dropped it on the sink and stared at it.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"I don't know," she said. She looked up and noticed her hair was uneven. She grabbed hair from the other side and cut some off. She repeated this process until her hair was too short to cut off and the razor had to be used next.

Cody grabbed the razor as she wrapped a towel around her shoulders. He turned it on, making Y/N jump. "It's okay. It's not going to hurt and I'll be sure to go slow and smooth, okay?"

She nodded as tears welled up her eyes. She watched Cody do as he promised. He went slowly and anytime she needed a break or wanted him to stop for a few minutes, he did. He wanted to make this hard moment as easy as he could for her. When he finished, Y/N looked at herself in the mirror. She felt like a completely different person. Technically she was, as she looked more like a cancer patient than before.

"What do you think?" He asked carefully.

"I look different. I don't look like myself," she answered with sadness.

He shook his head. "No, you're still the same beautiful girl I'm in love with." He leaned down and kissed the top of her head. She closed her eyes and let out a sigh of relief. "I actually have a present for you."

She opened her eyes and looked at him somewhat surprised. "You do?" He nodded. "You didn't have to get me anything, Cody."

He grabbed her hands and kissed the back of each one. "Trust me, you're going to love it."

He led the way to their shared bed and sat her down before he went to get her gift. Within minutes Cody returned with a small black box. He sat next to her before he gave it to her. Her fingers traced the edge of the box as he spoke. "You know how I've been with you every step of the way since you found that lump." She nodded. "And I want to continue to be there for you. So I partnered up with a company, and I think you're going to like it."

She eyed him carefully, wondering exactly what Cody had been up to. She looked down at the box and opened it. She pushed aside the tissue paper and saw a few different types of beanies in different colors, but all with a little square leather in the bottom center than read 'Love your melon'.

Tears welled up in her eyes. She knew exactly what this company was and what they did. She was actually planning on ordering some beanies for herself.

"I reached out to Love Your Melon and told them about you, and how much I want to help raise more awareness and money for research. So, I'm going to advertise the beanies on all my social media accounts."

She pulled out one of the beanies as Cody reached in for another one. She got the blue one and placed it one Cody's head. "You're right. I do love it. Thank you," she whispered before she leaned in and kissed him.

Cody cupped her cheek, kissing her back softly. He pulled back and looked into her eyes. "I love you, too." He carefully placed a pink beanie on her head and cupped her cheeks. "We're going to beat this thing together, okay?"

She nodded with tears in her eyes. "We're going to kick it in the ass."

Cody chuckled and nodded in agreement before he leaned in and kissed her again in their Love Your Melon beanies. While kissing her, Cody reached for his phone in his pocket and snapped a photo of them. He pulled back and looked at the picture. Cody wrapped his arm around her shoulder as she leaned in to see it.

"It's cute," she smiled as she looked up at him. "I think you found your first picture to advertise the beanies."

"Are you sure?" He asked. "I don't want to post anything you don't want me to or pictures of you during your chemo experience with the beanies on. I can just post photos of myself."

She looked at him in awe, wondering how she ever got so lucky with someone as gentle, sweet, and caring as Cody. She cupped his cheeks. "I love you and I think this is the perfect first photo for your partnership with Love Your Melon," she smiled before she leaned in and kissed him.