2.3 - Asher Adams

"Oh, dude, they're having a day party at Max's on Monday. Starts around 4:00," Y/N heard JJ tell Jordan as they played a game of pool.

She shook her head, disappointed at the both of them, especially after hearing why Asher had been pushing himself so hard. Asher had told both of them multiple times to start putting in the same commitment as he has been doing, but they still didn't seem to care. Y/N didn't like that one bit and she refused to stand there and not say anything.

"Shouldn't you be at practice instead of going to a stupid party?" She asked Jordan.

"I'll just call it early again," Jordan said with such confidence, as if he had some kind of power over his father and suddenly had control over practices.

"You sure calling practice early again is a good idea, Jordan?" Rochelle couldn't help but eavesdrop on the conversation and decided to back up Y/N. "Question," she said looking at Jordan, who bummed in response. "What happened to the Jordan Barker who threw for 292 yards and 3 touchdowns at State Championship? What, is he still too busy chasing thot pockets from Winter Break?"

Y/N let out a small snort, fighting so hard to laugh as Rochelle made a valid point. She only hoped Rochelle would knock some sense into him, but for some reason it wasn't working. Jordan didn't care about what she had to say and he seemed to careless about Rochelle's dad and the rest of the boosters club.

"She's not wrong," Y/N said as Rochelle walked away from Jordan. The boys turned around to face Y/N.

"Oh, god, not you, too." Jordan was getting more annoyed by the second, wondering why these girls wouldn't get off his back and let him be, especially Y/N. He believed she had no reason to be upset with him. They were hardly friends. So, why should she care?

"I figured with your dad being back, you'd be more committed to the team. Honestly, you've become a distraction lately," Y/N said.

"You're calling me a distraction after some of my teammates have been a bigger distraction? Like after everything Asher has done last season and what he put our team through, really?"

"Hey, Jordan, come on, easy," JJ said putting his hand on Jordan's shoulder. Although he wasn't friends with her either, he knew how Asher felt about Y/N and he didn't want Jordan to say something stupid. Asher would definitely go after Jordan if he hurt Y/N's feelings in any way.

"No, he's right," Y/N took a few steps closer to Jordan. "He has to live with those mistakes every damn day, but that's in the past, okay? Right now, he's working like crazy to be the best teammate and leader that he can be. That's why he's on the field every day after practice, grinding. Same way the both of you used to get it after it when you guys were freshmen. No one won't be able to question his dedication. Will they be able to say the same about you? Or will they think you're too busy enjoying your vacation like your dad, the ex-NFL pro baller, because that's what you're known for, right? Getting away with just about everything and having everything on a silver platter because you're Billy Baker's son."

Jordan stayed quiet as Y/N left, her words definitely cut through like a knife.

***

It was late. The moon had replaced the sun as Jordan walked on the field. No one was on the field except for Asher and a machine shooting out footballs towards him.

"Jug machines? Really?" Asher looked up from catching a ball to see Jordan walking towards him.

"It's reliable. It doesn't make excuses," Asher said without hesitation. Although he was surprised to see Jordan here, he wasn't going to hold back on being honest with him. "It's always willing to work. What's not to love?"

"Yeah, but," Jordan looked back at the machine, "I mean, there's nothing about it that really says 'Jugs', ya know?" He tried his best to fight back smile at his own stupid joke, but failed miserably.

Asher chuckled, which made Jordan smile more. Maybe he can still fix things with Asher. Not only did he want to be a better teammate, but he also wanted to be a good friend again. Jordan had been so caught up with everything that came with being a champ, but also ignoring his feelings about his parents situation, and taking out that anger on his dad. What better way to get back to how things used to be than playing on the field like old times?

"Yo, let me see that rock," Jordan said as he took off his jacket. Asher tossed him the football before Jordan said, "it's time to get to work."

Before they lined up, Asher asked, "what changed your mind? What brought you back to this field?"

Jordan looked down at the football and fiddled with the lace before answered. "Umm, your girl," Asher's heart skipped a beat as Y/N immediately flashed through his mind, "isn't afraid to tell me the truth, and the truth is, I've been making some mistakes and I want to stop. I want to fix them and make things right with the team, starting with you."

Asher cleared his throat. "Um, you know, she's not my girl."

"Sure," Jordan rolled his eyes, not believing Asher for a second. Like JJ, he too has noticed the looks Asher had been giving towards Y/N. It was no secret he was in love with the girl.

Jordan took a couple of steps back as Asher ran full speed. As Asher started to make a slight turn, Jordan pulled his arm back and slung it forward, releasing the ball from his finger tips. The ball landed perfectly in Asher's hands.

"Whooooooo-hoooooooo!" Jordan cheered.

"Just like old times, baby!" Asher yelled from the endzone.

Without knowing, Y/N had seen everything. She knew Asher would be practicing on the field by himself and she wanted to see if he needed some company or maybe some help. She was surprised to see Jordan on the field. She wondered if her words had something to do with it but or not. Either way, he ended up on the field with Asher and for the first time since Winter Break started, it looked like things were back to normal.