Part 4: Missing Her (Asher Adams)

Asher grunted as the pain throbbed on his lower hip. He closed his eyes, preventing the sun from blinding him and also taking a second to catch his breath. He mentally cursed himself for not catching the ball and getting himself tackled to the ground. It wasn't Spencer who had gotten into his head like it had been since coach brought him on the team. It was Y/N. He couldn't seem to shake her off his mind and no matter how hard he tried, the worst it got.

"Ash? Are you okay?" Asher opened his eyes and squinted, seeing Jordan staring down at him with a worried look. "Should I tell coach to call the trainer?"

"No," Asher groaned as he slowly sat up. He sat on the grass for a few seconds before Jordan offered him his hand. Asher took it and got up. "I'm fine."

"It doesn't seem like it," Jordan said. "What's the problem?"

"Asher, you okay?!" Coach yelled from the sidelines.

"Yes, sir," Asher yelled back.

"Get some water!" The coach yelled before he blew his whistle, signaling the rest of the team to continue with the next play.

Jordan followed Asher to the water cooler by the end of the bench. "What's going on? Spencer still isn't getting to you, is he? I told you, just because he's here, doesn't mean he's taking your starting position-"

Asher stopped paying attention when he saw Y/N walking up the ramp. Her eyes searched the football field, almost as if she was looking for someone. When her eyes landed on Asher on the sidelines, she looked away. She saw Lelia sitting in the middle of the blanchers and made her way up the stairs to meet her.

A new wave of pain washed over Asher. It was one he hadn't experienced before until Y/N kicked him out of her house after he told her everything that had happened with Olivia. He physically missed her. He missed her voice. He missed her touch. He missed her laugh. He missed the way she used to look at him. He missed her.

"Yo!" Asher stumbled back as Jordan hit him on his shoulder pads. "What is going on? Why isn't your head in the game?" When Asher said nothing, he turned to look in the direction Asher was previously staring at. He saw Y/N talking to Lelia. "What happened between you two?"

Asher took a sip of his water before not looking at him when he answered. "Nothing. Lelia and I are fine."

"I wasn't talking about her, bro." Asher looked up at Jordan. He swallowed hard to push back the tightness. He didn't want to show any signs of pain. He didn't want to know he was hurting. "Nothing."

"It doesn't look like nothing. I haven't seen you two hang out-" Jordan paused for a second and shook his head as he realized something. "No, I haven't seen you guys talk in about a week. Did you two get into a fight or something?"

"Or something," Asher said as he threw the cup in the trash can and started walking back to the center of the field. He didn't want to talk about it with Jordan and he was hoping he wouldn't ask him anymore questions. The only person he wanted to talk to was Y/N.

"It all makes sense now," Asher looked at Jordan confused as he put his helmet back on. "Why you haven't been focusing in class, why you've been playing like crap on the field, and why you don't go out anymore. You're moping around over a fight you had with her."

"That's not true," Asher lied.

"Look at me dead in the eyes and tell me the truth," Jordan said seriously. Asher looked at his best friend and said nothing. Jordan senses how bad it it just by seeing the hurt in Asher's eyes. "Okay," Jordan said as he nodded and put his helmet back on. "Everything will eventually work out. It's you and Y/N. You guys are the perfect BFFs goals. You guys have been best friends your entire lives. There's no way you guys won't work this out."