3.7 - Asher Adams

Y/N laughed at a lame joke JJ said. From across the party, Asher looked at the direction the familiar laugh came from. A small pang of pain gutted his heart. Not only has Asher not seen Y/N in a while, but he couldn't remember when was the last time he saw her genuinely happy and laughing hard. The thought caused more tightness in his chest, a reminder that towards the end of their relationship wasn't as great when it first started.

Y/N caught her breath after laughing. She turned around and saw Asher. He gave her a small smile. Y/N knew there was hurt behind that smile. Her smile slowly vanished. She excused herself and made her way towards Asher. Her heart thundered against her chest. She was scared. She hadn't spoken to Asher since the weekend they broke up at the cabin. She didn't know if Asher wanted to talk to her, but she wanted to see if he was doing okay.

Asher swallowed hard, pushing the tightness from the back of his throat as she got closer to him.

"You really came through for Spencer. You know, you didn't have to considering how," she paused for a second, trying to use the best choice of words, "complicated everything is between us." She took a step closer to him once she saw Asher's mom and his soon-to-be stepfather talking with huge smiles on their faces. "Or is that just how desperately you didn't want to spend time with Jacob?"

Asher chuckled. He's not at all surprised she knew what his plan was. She was the only one that knew him best. He kind of missed that. He kissed how in perfect sync they were with each other.

"I guess it's a little bit of both," he answered.

They both looked back at Asher's Mom and Jacob. Vanessa had joined them and they looked like they were having fun with whatever they were talking about. A pain throbbed against Y/N's heart. Although she knew and met Asher's mom before, she never had that with her. She was never able to have an easy conversation as if they were friends. Y/N was slightly jealous of Vanessa at the moment.

"How are things with Vanessa?" She asked.

Asher looked back at Y/N. He couldn't read her facial expression and that caught him off guard. He usually read her mind and knew her like the back of his hand.

"You just being polite or you really want to know?" He asked

She gave him a smile and repeated the same words he gave her seconds ago. "I guess it's a little bit of both."

"What's up with you and JJ?" He asked, avoiding her question because he didn't know how to answer it. But, he was also curious. He had seen her and JJ hanging out a lot lately. He found it a bit odd as they were never really friends before.

"You want the truth?" Asher nodded at her question. "Even if it might hurt you?" Asher hesitated for a second before nodding again.

"JJ and I are going through the same thing. Us being heartbroken has kind of brought us together," Y/N explained. Asher was about to say something, but Y/N continued, "Look if you're holding back with Vanessa because of me or JJ, don't. Yeah it'll be weird for a little while, but we'll be fine. We just want you to be happy."

Asher let out a heavy sigh. "Honestly, I don't know what would make me happy."

"You just need to be honest with yourself, Asher, and go after what you want."

"Honesty sucks."

"It definitely can, but it's the only way to move forward," she gave him a small sad smile. "It was good talking to you."

"It was," he shoved his hands in his pockets. It was a nervous tick he did. He had to be honest with himself, just like she told him too. "I kind of missed it," he paused for a second. "I kind of miss you too."

Y/N's eyes welled up with warm tears. "I miss it too. All of it. You," she whispered.

Asher's heart sank. He immediately grabbed her hand, pulled her in, and wrapped his arms around her. She didn't hesitate to hug him back, burying her face at the crook of his neck. She could smell the cologne she bought him for his birthday. Asher closed his eyes as his nose took in the scent of lavender from her shampoo.

"Umm, I should go," Y/N pulled away when someone called out for Asher. She turned on her heel and walked away from Asher, wiping away the fallen tears.

Asher ignored whoever called him. He watched Y/N walk away. He wanted nothing more than to run after her, hug her again... to kiss her again... but then he remembered why he broke up with her. He didn't want to go through that pain again, no matter how much he missed and still loved her.