Anniversary

Was I scared this time? No. Was I nervous? Not in the slightest. Today is Blaise and I's one year anniversary of the day he spoke to me for the first time. Yes, we did meet more than a year ago at Silverlake Asylum when I first took the job as his therapist but after that, it took him a mere three months just to say hello. And from my knowledge of the previous doctors he's had, that's a massive improvement. But it's been a year and I've never been closer to anyone. And I haven't even been to jail yet! Now you might be thinking, Theo. What do you mean?
Well, I know his name. Keeping his name to myself is a federal offense and if someone found out I knew Blaise's actual name, I'd never live to see another day. But I've never called him the Flame Thrower when I'm talking to him and I never will. Blaise has more than one name. God forbid he's got more than one alter! As much as what he's done isn't good, he hates only being known for the bad things.
And to be honest. If people took the time to actually find out why he is the way he is, then they'd see what I see.

"How are you Doctor?"

I nearly jumped in shock when a deep, husky voice spoke to me and I blushed shamefully. "Morning Andrew," I stuttered. The blonde man grinned at me before motioning for the two guards posted outside the room I was about to enter to move. I rushed past the burley military personnel, trying to ignore their guns and when I entered the hospital room, the door locked behind me. Suddenly, an unavoidable grin took over my blushing face as I glanced at the now sixteen year old boy sitting on the bed. His legs crossed and his eyes glowing with excitement. On the windowsill next to him, sat a beautiful deep brown eagle. I dug in my backpack and took out a small packet of bird food I'd bought. I put it on a side table and Sin chirped happily before flying over to peck my cheek before he dug in.

"You look chipper. Mind filling me in on who I'm talking to?" I smiled, adjusting the suspenders I had on as I sat next to Blaise. "It's Blaise and he says Happy Anniversary," Blaise grinned back and I rolled my eyes. Trying not to grin back. "Is this stupid? Should we really be having an anniversary for this?" I asked and the boy scoffed, tutting like a parent chastising their child. "On the 29th of April, exactly a year ago was a big step for both of us," he said matter-of-factly, flattening his curly hair. "Yes, but was it really necessary for us to give the day you said your first words to me an anniversary?" I asked and he sneered at me playfully. The occasion was dumb, but I knew it meant the world to the both of us.
It was the start of our friendship.
"You know," I started and he stared at me with curious eyes. "I still remember the exact words you said to me," I stated and his eyes widened before a chuffed smirk cascaded his face. "Really?" He asked disbelieving and I nodded, quite proud of myself. "What did I say?" He demanded and I cleared my throat, sitting straighter to face him properly. "I was complaining about one of my Professors at school. I was mumbling so I didn't even think you'd hear me. I certainly didn't think you cared but out of nowhere, you said, is he hot? "

Blaise snorted until he couldn't hold in his laughter. Suddenly, he stopped laughing and stared at me for a long time. His eyes unfocused. I realized what was happening immediately.
"Who am I talking to now?" I asked and he shook his head, blinking as he refocused. "Ash," he said and I nodded, smiling. Suddenly, gratitude took over Ash's features and I cocked an eyebrow. "He's grateful you know. We all are. We couldn't have survived without you," he said and my heart warmed.

"Ditto,"

Present

I sighed, taking a short sip from my small glass of ice cold whiskey. Although my black three piece suit was tailored specifically to fit me, my chest still felt tight and I struggled to breathe properly as I stared at the slowly setting sun sitting atop the hood of my car. I took another sip.
Before she died, my Mother had married four men. A lot, I know,  but they never lasted more than two years. They always died. Every single one of them. Funerals were more common than something like a wedding in my family and I was used to that. It was something that we sought through with a strong mind and a straight face. But today? I had never felt so weak. Theo was there when no one else was. He was the only friend I had for a long  time. As much as I love my eagle Sin, at some point talking to a bird made it feel as if I were talking to myself. The memories of the day Theo and I first met have been haunting me since the Diner explosion. Ron doesn't know. I don't want to worry him. But I'm beginning to think he can tell and that scares me. He's already been through so much. I don't need my little issues getting in the way of the happiness I promise to give him till the day I die.

But I'm allowed to grieve, right? Theo deserves to be grieved over. I just don't want Ron seeing me at my weakest. Hence why I'm sitting outside staring at the sky sipping whiskey alone whilst everyone else is inside the enormous hall celebrating the memory of my first right hand.

I took another sip...

Suddenly, I hand landed softly on my shoulder, making me jump and someone joined me, sitting next to me on the bumper of my car.

"You look lonely as hell,"

A voice I had not expected said and I rose an eyebrow, chuckling softly. Neville Longbottom got himself comfortable next to me and sighed, following my gaze which led to the stars. Finally, I got up the courage to say what I hadn't been able to say to him since he showed up at my house one morning asking if what he saw on the News was true.

"I'm sorry."

He didn't look at me and continued to stare at the sky. His eyes full of tears. Suddenly, he did something I was not expecting him to do. He smiled.

"I'm sorry too."

He looked at me, his tears falling freely down his round, boyish face. "I never got to-" he stopped, taking in a deep breath before carrying on. "I never got to tell him I loved him," Neville whispered, his eyes red and puffy as he smiled. "Neither did I," I whispered which surprisingly made him laugh. Suddenly, a look of realization was etched on his face and I took another shaky sip of whiskey and was shocked when he took the glass out of my hand and put it down. He stared at me with a look that I couldn't quite fathom. But I had a feeling I was making the same face.

"He told me, you know," he said, his smile returning ever so softly. I rose an eyebrow and Neville chuckled, wiping a tear away. "He told me about today. The 29th of April," he said and my eyes widened and before I could catch up with what was happening Neville had his hand in mine. He looked up at me before he staring back at the inky sky. His head falling onto my shoulder.

"Happy Anniversary,"