Put On The Suit

Nikita's POV

"What is 'Phase 2'." Stark asked.

Steve put the weapon on a table. "Phase 2 is SHIELD uses the Cube to make weapons. Sorry, computer was moving a little slow for us." I said.

"Petrova, Rogers we gathered everything related to the Tesseract. This does not mean that we're making..." He was cut off by Stark.

"I'm sorry, Nick. What were you lying?" Stark turned his computer for us to see the blue prints for a missile.

Suddenly Nat and Thor walked into the lab. "Did you know about this?" Dr. Banner pointed to the two.

"You want to think about removing yourself form this environment, Doctor?" Natasha said.

"I was in Calcutta. I was pretty well removed."

"Loki is manipulating you." She stepped forward.

"And you've been doing what, exactly?"

"You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you." She argued back.

"Yes, and I'm not leaving because suddenly you get a little twitchy." He looked at the computer. "I'd like to know why SHIELD is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction."

"Because of him." Fury gestured towards Thor who hadn't said a word.

"Me?"

"Last year, Earth had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously, outgunned."

"My people want nothing but peace with your planet." Thor said trying to defend his home.

"But your not the only people out there, are you? And your not the only threat. The world's filling up with people who can't be matched, that can't be controlled." He stared at me like he was directing those words to me, which he was.

I clenched my fists and tried not to make anything worse.

"Like you controlled the Cube?" Steve asked.

"Your work with the Tesseract is what drew Loki to it, and his allies. It is a signal to all realms that the Earth is ready for a higher form of war." Thor said.

"A higher form?" Steve asked again

"You forced our hand. We had to come up with something." Fury said.

"A nuclear deterrent. Because that always calms everything right down." Stark said.

"Remind me again how you made your fortune, Stark." Fury turned to look at Stark.

"I'm sure if he still made weapons, Stark would be neck-deep..." He was cut off by Stark.

"Hold on. How is this now about me?" Stark looked at the two men.

"I'm sorry, isn't everything?" The two men started arguing among themselves.

"I thought humans were more evolved than this." Thor spoke up.

"Excuse me, did we come to your planet and blow stuff up?" Fury turned to look at Thor.

"You treat your champions with such mistrust." Thor said.

"Are you boys really that naive? SHIELD monitors potential threats." Natasha said.

Everyone started arguing over top of each other.

"No it's because they can't stand when someone is stronger than them." I spoke to Nat.

The arguing didn't stop there.

"You speak of control yet you cause chaos." Thor spoke over all of us.

"That's his M.O., isn't it?" Banner questioned. "I mean, what are we, a team? No, we're a chemical mixture that makes chaos. We're a time bomb."

"You need to step away." Fury told the Doctor.

"Why shouldn't the guy let off a little steam?" Tony asked putting his hand on Steve's shoulder which he clearly did not like.

"You know damn well why." He said pushing Stark's hand off. "Back off!"

"Oh, I'm starting to want you to make me." He responded.

"Yeah. Big man in a suit of armor. Take that off what are you?" Steve looked Stark dead in the eyes.

"Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist." Stark said.

"I know guys with none of that worth ten of you. I've seen the footage. The only thing you really fight for is yourself." The tension in the room was growing. "You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you."

"I think I would just cut the wire." Steve looked away at Stark's words.

"Always a way out. You may not be a threat, but you better stop pretending to be a hero."

"A hero? Like you?" Stark said. "You're a laboratory experiment, Rogers. Everything special about you came out of  a bottle."

Stark was right in some way. Steve only became a hero because of his big heart. He could have been a killer, but he was able to do good. He wasn't brainwashed and beaten in a Hydra base on the other side of the world.

"Put on the suit. Let's go a few rounds."

Thor started laughing. "You people are so petty, and tiny."

"Yeah, this is a team." Banner said.

"Agent Romanoff would you escort Dr. Banner to his..." Banner cut Fury off before he could say anymore.

"Where? You rented my room."

"The cell was just in case..." Again he was cut off.

"In case you needed to kill me.But you can't. I know, I tried." The room fell silent. "I got low. I didn't see on end. So, I put a bullet in my mouth, and the other guy spit it out."

"So I moved on. I focused on helping other people. I was good. Until you dragged me back into this freak show and put everyone here at risk. You want to know my secret, Agent Romanoff? You want to know how I stay calm?"

I saw Fury and Nat go for their guns and I did the same. "Dr. Banner, put down the scepter." Steve interrupted.

Only then had I actually realized he had picked up the scepter.

Just then, the computer sounded. "Got it." The Tesseract had been found.

Dr. Banner put the scepter back on the table. " Sorry, kids, you don't get to see my party trick after all."

"You located the Tesseract?" Thor looked at the computer.

"I could get there fastest." I heard Stark on the other side of the room.

"The Tesseract belongs on Asgard. No human is a match for it."

"Your not going alone." Steve grabbed Stark's arm not letting him leave.

"You're gonna stop me?"

"Put on the suit, let's find out."

"You two are so childish!" I told them, but they ignored me.

"I'm not afraid to hit an old man." Stark told Steve.

"Put on the suit."

From the other side of the room behind his computer Dr. Banner whispered. "Oh, my God."

And at that second all hell broke loose. The whole side of the helicarrier exploded, knocking us all in different directions.