Captain Marvel

Nikita's POV

I had been in here all day.

Trying every way to clear my mind. Bucky gone, Wanda gone, Vision dead, and Tony was lost in space.

It doesn't stop there. Half the universe. We lost. We failed to protect everyone. Now we all waited here. Waiting for something to happen, a miracle, maybe

I punched the punching bag twice more when I suddenly felt everything rumble. When I realized it was coming from outside I burst through the doors and into the night.

Banner, Nat, Steve, Rhodey, and I all went outside to be met with a spaceship and Pepper Potts.

A person set the ship onto the ground.

The door to the ship opened and Tony hobbled out with a blue person.

Steve ran up to help him down.

"Couldn't stop him." Tony told Steve in a hoarse voice.

"Neither could I."

"Hang on. I lost the kid."

"Tony, we lost."

"Is, uh...? Oh good." Pepper ran up to Tony. "Oh, my God! Oh, my God!" She cried.

***

"It's been 23 days since Thanos came to Earth." Rhodey said.

"World governments are in pieces. The parts that are still working...are trying to take a census and it looks like he did...he did exactly what he said he was going to do. Thanos wiped out...50% of all living creatures." Nat informed.

"Where is he now? Where?" Tony asked.

"We don't know." Steve responded. "He just opened a portal and walked through."

"What's wrong with him?" Tony said looking at Thor.

"Oh, he's pissed. He thinks he failed. Which of course, he did...but you know there's a lot of that going around, ain't there?" Said the raccoon, who's name I had found was Rocket.

"Honestly, until this exact second I thought you were a Build-A-Bear." Tony said.

"Maybe I am."

"We've been hunting Thanos for three weeks now. Deep space scans...and satellites, and we got nothing. Tony, you fought him." Steve said.

"Who told you that? I didn't fight him. No, he wiped my face with a planet...while the Bleecker Street magician gave away the store. That's what happened. There's no fight, 'cause he's not beatable."

"Did he give you any clues, any coordinates, anything?"

"Uh..." He put his hand up to his temple and spluttered letting us know that he knew nothing. "I saw this coming a few years back. I had a vision. I didn't want to believe it. Thought I was dreaming."

"Tony, I'm gonna need you to focus."

"And I needed you. As in, past tense. That trumps what you need. It's to late, buddy. Sorry. You know what I need? I need a shave." He threw his fist into his bowl causing it to go everywhere. "And I believe I remember telling all youse..."

"Tony, Tony!" Rhodey tried to calm him down. He ripped of the doctors equipment"

"...alive and otherwise that what we needed was suit of armor around the world. Remember that? Whether it impacted our precious freedoms or not. That's what we needed."

"Well, that didn't work out, did it?"

"I said we'd lose. You said, "We'll do that together, too." And guess what, Cap? We lost. And you weren't there. But that's what we do, right? Our best work after the fact? We're the "Avengers." We're the "Avengers." not the "Pre-vengers."

I had a quick memory of when Fury recruited me. The first time we ever saved the world. We thought we could stop anything after that. Everybody believed we were invincible. It's crazy to think we've made it to this. A team that saved the world over and over again, just to fail when it mattered most.

"Okay." Rhodey said.

"Right?"

"You made your point. Just sit down, okay?"

"Okay. No, no, here's my point. You know what? She's great by the way." Her pointed to the new girl. Carol Danvers. She says her name is Captain Marvel.

"Tony, you're sick. Sit down." Rhodes kept trying to get Tony back in the wheelchair.

"We need you. You're new blood. Bunch of tired old mules. I got nothing for you, Cap." Tony walked over to Steve. "I got no coordinates...no clues, no strategies, no options. Zero. Zip. Nada. No trust, liar." He ripped the arc reactor core off his chest and put it in Steve's hand. "Here, take that. You find him, you put that on...you hide."

Tony fell to the ground and we all rushed to help him.

"Tony!"

"I'm fine. Let me..."

He fell unconscious on the ground.

***

We all waited outside of the room.

"Bruce gave him a sedative. He's gonna probably be out for the rest of the day." Rhodey exited the room.

"You guys take care of him...and I'll bring him Xorrian elixir when I come back." Carol said walking away."

"Where are you going?" Steve asked

"To kill Thanos." She replied dryly turning back to us.

"Hey. You know, we usually work as a team here...and, uh, between you and I, morale's a little fragile." I caught up with her.

"We realize up there is more your territory, but this is our fight, too." Steve entered the topic.

"You even know where he is?" Rhodey asked.

"I know people who might."

"Don't bother." Nebula said. "I can tell you where Thanos is."

***

"Thanos spent a long time trying to perfect me. And when he worked, he talked about his Great Plan. Even disassembled I wanted to please him. I'd ask...where would we go once his plan was complete? And his answer was always the same. "To the Garden."

"That's cute. Thanos has a retirement plan." Rhodey said.

"So where is he?"

Rocket pulled up a hologram. "When Thanos snapped his fingers...Earth became ground zero for a power surge of ridiculously cosmic proportions. No one's ever seen anyhting like it. Until two days ago...on this planet."

"Thanos is there." Nebula confirmed.

"He used the stones again."

"Hey, hey, hey. We'd be going in shorthanded, you know?"

"Look, he's still got the stones, so..."

Carol cut Rhodey off. "So, let's go get 'em. Use them to bring everyone back."

"Just like that?" Banner asked.

"Yeah. Just like that."

"Even if there's a small chance that we can undo this...I mean we owe it to everyone who's not in this room to try." Nat explained.

"If we do this, how do we know it's gonna end any differently than it did before?"

"Because before you didn't have me." Carol said.

"Hey, new girl?Everybody in this room is about that superhero life. And if you don't mind my asking, where the hell have you been all this time?"

"There are a lot of other planets in the universe. And unfortunately, they didn't have you guys."

I had to agree with her on that. We are pretty good at our jod. Well, we used to be.

Thor stood up from his seat in the corner and walked over to Carol.

They looked each other dead in the eyes. He held up his hand and his ax came right to him just barely missing her head. She didn't even flinch.

"I like this one."

"Let's go get this son of a bitch."