Will The World Stop Screwing With My Feelings

Steve's POV

When we all got back to the compound I took off my helmet and a sigh of relief left my lips.

"Did we get them all?" Bruce asked with joy.

"Are you telling me this actually worked?" Rhodey asked.

I looked over to Nik and saw the tears running down her face. I looked for Nat but she wasn't there.

"Nikita, where's Nat?" Bruce asked.

Nik looked up at me and I could see it on her face that Nat was gone.

***

"Do we know if she had family?" Tony asked us.

We all went to the dock and sat there mourning her.

"Yeah. Us." I said.

"What? Huh? What are you doing?" Thor asked.

"Just asking him a question." Tony said.

"Yeah, no, you're all acting like she's dead. Why are we acting like she's dead? We have the stones, right? As long as we have the stones...Cap, we can bring her back. Isn't that right? So, stop this shit. We're the Avengers. Get it together."

"Can't get her back." Nik spoke up.

"What's she...? What?" Thor asked.

"It can't be undone. It can't." Thor just laughed at Nik's words.

"Look, I'm sorry, no offense, but you're a very earthly being, okay? And we're talking about space magic. And "can't" seems very definitive. Don't you think?" Thor said.

"Yeah, look, I know that I'm way outside my pay grade here. But she still isn't here, is she?"

"No, that's my point."

"It can't be undone. Or that's at least what the Red Skull had to say. Maybe you wanna go talk to him, okay? Go grab your hammer and you fly and you talk to him." She shouted at Thor. "It was supposed to be me. She sacrificed her life for that goddamn stone. She bet her life on it."

Bruce grabbed the bench and threw it as hard as he could over the lake.

Nik just stormed off the dock and back to the compound.

"She's not coming back. We have to make it worth it. We have to." He said.

"We will."

***

I had no idea where Nik was but I walked around the compound to all the places she could be.

Not in her room, kitchen, living room. I finally walked by the gym and heard noises.

I walked through the door and saw Nik punching the punching bag as hard as she could.