To See An Empire Fall

Nikita's POV

We were all handcuffed and put in the back of a truck.

Steve and Sam in the back. T'Challa and I up in the front row. Bucky was put in a different truck.

"So, you like cats?" Sam asked.

"Sam."

"What? Dude shows up dressed like a cat, and you don't want to know more?"

"Your suit...it's vibranium?

"The Black Panther has been a protector of Wakanda for generations. A mantle, passed on from warrior to warrior. And now, because your friend murdered my father...I also wear the mantle of king. So, I ask you...as both warrior and king...how long do you think you can keep your friend safe from me?"

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat.

"My father helped you, and yet you protect his killer?" T'Challa asked me in his native language so that Steve and Sam couldn't understand.

"I'm sorry, I wouldn't have helped him unless I had a really good reason to." I replied back in the same language.

***

We all got out of the van and walked over to a short man with silver hair and a grey suit on.

"What's gonna happen to him?" Steve asked.

"Same thing that ought to happen to you. Psychological evaluation and extradition." The short man replied.

"This is Everett Ross, Deputy Task Force Commander." Sharon informed us all.

"What about a lawyer?" Steve asked.

"Lawyer. That's funny. See their weapons are placed in lockup. We'll right you a receipt."

"I better not look out the window and see anybody flying around in that." We all followed Ross.

"You'll be provided with an office instead of a cell. Now, do me a favor, stay in it?"

"I don't intend on going anywhere." T'Challa told Ross.

"For the record, this is what making things worse looks like." Nat came up to us.

"He's alive."

"Romania was not Accords-sanctioned. Colonel Rhodes is supervising cleanup." Tony was talking on the phone.

"Try not to break anything while we fix this." Nat walked off.

"Consequences? You bet there'll be consequences. Obviously you can quote me on that, because I just said it. Anything else? Thank you, sir." Tony hung up the phone and looked at us.

"Consequences?" Steve looked at him.

"Secretary Ross wants you three prosecuted. Had to give him something."

"I'm not getting that shield back, am I?"

"Technically, it's the government's property. Wings, too." Nat said.

"That's cold." Sam looked at her.

"Warmer than jail." Tony had a point with that one.

"Technically, my stuff never belonged to the government in the first place so that has to count for something, right?" I tried to reason.

***

"Hello, Mr. Barnes. I've been sent by the United Nations to evaluate you. Do you mind if I sit?" Like he was going to say "No, get the hell away from me."

I watched the screen as the doctor sat in the chair at the desk.

"Your first name is James?"