Smaller Agents

Nikita's POV

By sunrise I felt dead. All night I kept seeing the horrible things I did in Hydra.

I followed everyone else out of the jet. We walked up to a small farm house. It was cute. The kind you would want to start a family in.

A rusty old barn sat next to it.

"What is this place?" Thor asked as we walked up the stairs.

"Safe house." Stark told him.

"Let's hope." Clint opened the door for us and we walked in.

The cool air hit my face and the smell of evergreens filled my nose.

"Honey?" Clint walked into a room. "I'm home." We all followed him into a dining room.

A woman walked in. She looked shocked then her face turned to concern at the sight of all of us.

"Hi. Company. Sorry, didn't call ahead."

"Hey." She kissed him and then turned to us.

"This is an agent of some kind." Stark told us.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is Laura." Clint introduced us.

"I know all of your names." Sh e let out a small chuckle.

I heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

"Ooh. Incoming."

"Dad!" A little girl and boy ran into the room.

"Hi, sweetheart!" Clint gave the kids a big fatherly hug. "Hey, buddy. How are you guys doing?"

I looked at Steve and he looked just as confused as me.

"These are smaller agents." Stark said.

"Look at your face! Oh, my goodness."

"Did you bring Auntie Nat?" The little girl asked.

I saw Nat's face light up.

"Why don't you hug her and find out?" Nat gave the girl a big hug and she looked so happy.

"Sorry for barging in on you." Steve apologized.

"Yeah, we would have called ahead, but we were busy having no idea you existed."

"Yeah, well, Fury helped me set this up when I joined. He kept it off SHIELD's files. I'd like to keep it that way. I figure it's a good place to lay low."

Seeing Clint with a family made me a little jealous. Seeing how happy his kids were to see him. When I show up at people's houses they usually scream in terror.

I heard a crack on the floor and looked down. Thor was lifting his foot off a small lego house. He kicked it under the chair and we all looked up as if nothing happened.

Natasha went to talk to Laura.

The little girl walked up in front of me. Looking down at her, she looked like a child I met in Rio. Small, innocent, and happy. Both parents present to tuck her in at night and tell her the monster under bed isn't real.

Thor stormed out of the room and Steve followed after him. "Thor?"

I walked up stairs to the room Laura said I could stay in. It was nice, A king sized bed, bathroom, and a view of the farm. Because everyone wants to wake up and look at pigs in the mud.

I heard a knock on the door and turned to see who it was. "You okay?" Steve asked.

"Are you?"

"I'll get back to you on that one. Maybe one day we won't have to keep asking each other that." He laughed trying to lift the mood.

"Maybe in another hundred years."

"You can take the first shower." He offered.

I just nodded and he walked out.

*Time Skip*

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time. My contacts all say he's building something. The amount of vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing."

"What about Ultron himself?"

I'll admit it was nice to see Fury again.

"Oh, he's easy to track. He's everywhere. The guy is multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit. It still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans, though."

"Is he still going after launch codes?" Stark had been throwing darts for almost an hour now.

"Yes, he is. But he's not making any headway."

"I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare." Tony informed.

"Well, I contacted our friends at the Nexus about that."

"Nexus?"

"It's the world Internet hub in Olso. Every byte of data flows through there. Fastest access on Earth." Banner informed.

"So, what did they say?" Clint asked.

"He's fixated on the missiles. But the codes are constantly being changed."

"By whom?" Stark asked.

"Parties unknown."

"Do we have an ally?" Nat asked from her seat at the table.

"Ultron's got an enemy. That's not the same thing. Still, I'd pay folding money to know who it is."

"I might need to visit Olso." Stark said. "Find our unkown."

"Well, this is a good time, boss, but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that." I looked at Fury.

"I do. I have you. Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere. Ears, everywhere else. You kids had all the tech you could dream up. Here we all are, back on Earth, with nothing but our wit and our will to save the world. Ultron says the Avengers are the only thing between him and his mission. And whether or not he admits it, his mission is global destruction. All this, laid in a grave. So stand. Outwit the platinum bastard."

"Steve doesn't like that kid of talk." I said.

"You know what, Petrova."

"So, what does he want?"

"To become better. Better than us. He keeps building bodies."

"Person bodies. The human form is inefficient. Biologically speaking, we're outmoded. But he keeps coming back to it."

"When you two programmed him to protect the human race, you amazingly failed."

"They don't need to be protected. They need to evolve." Banner said to us all in a grim tone. "Ultron's going to evolve."

"How?" Fury asked.

"Has anyone been in contact with Helen Cho?"