The Star-Spangled Man (5)

Nikita's POV

We waited in the waiting room for Bucky to come out.

"Sam, Nikita. I've heard a lot about you two. I'm Dr. Raynor. I'm James's therapist." A woman introduced herself.

"So nice to meet you. Thank you for getting him out." Sam thanked.

"That was not me." She said.

"Christina." A voice called out. "It's great to see you again." It was John Freaking Walker.

"You gotta be kidding me. You know him?"

"Yeah, we did some field ops back in the day." She said.

"I heard you were working with Bucky, so I thought I'd step in. Bucky's not going to be following a strict schedule any longer." Walker said.

"We haven't finished our work. Who authorized this?" Dr. Raynor asked.

"Um..." Held his hands up. "He's too valuable of an asset to have tied up. So just do whatever you got to do with him, then send him off to me. Got some unfinished business, him and I. You too, Wilson and Petrova. I'll be outside." And he walked away.

"James, condition of your release session now. You too." She looked back at Sam and I.

"That's okay. We'll be out here with..." She cut me off.

"That wasn't a request." She shot back at me.

The three of us followed her into a room.

We grabbed three chairs and pulled them to one side of the table. We just stared across the table at Dr. Raynor.

She opened her note book. "So...Who would like to start?"

"All right, look, Dr. Raynor? I get it, why you want me to talk to Freaky Magoo and Harley Quinn over here. But I'm 100% fine."

I looked nothing like Harley Quinn and I don't talk in riddles. Do I?

"It is my job to make sure that you're okay. And so, yeah, this may be slightly unprofessional, but it's the only way that I can see if you getting over whatever's eating at you."

"This is ridiculous." Sam said.

"Yeah. I agree."

"Yep." Bucky and I agreed.

"See? Making progress already. So, who wants to go first?" Nobody said anything. "No volunteers? Wow. How surprising. Okay. We're going to do an exercise. It's something I use with couples, but I'm sure it will work with three, when they are trying to figure out what kind of life they wanna build together. Are you familiar with the miracle question?"

"Absolutely not."

"Nope."

"Of course not."

"Okay, it goes like this. Suppose that while you're sleeping, a miracle occurs. When you wake up, what is something you would like to see that would make your life better?"

"In my miracle, they would...they would talk less."

"Exactly what I was gonna say. Isn't that ironic?" Sam said.

"Wow, my miracle was going to be totally different." I just wanted to walk out of that room and go back to Mississippi.

"You guys leave me with no choice. It's time for the hand-holding exercise." Dr. Raynor said.

"I like this better." Bucky said.

"Oh, God. he's gonna love this."

"Please no." I said.