Power Broker (4)

Nikita's POV

Out of nowhere a big explosion went off. We all took cover from the debris.

We saw a figure in a trench coat wearing a mask. I knew exactly who that was, and I could tell, so did the others. He shot the four guys and looked at us through the flames.

"Go, go." I told Sharon and pushed her to get moving.

We all heard gunshots as we moving through the maze of crates.

"Buck!" Sam yelled as we all climbed into a crate.

I ripped of a metal bar from the crate door and hit a guy over the head with it. I threw it like a javelin and it hit a woman right in the chest.

"Let's go!" Bucky pulled me into the crate and we shut the door.

Bucky used his metal arm to knock the other door down on the other side. We heard tires squealing and they came closer.

"Supercharged." Zemo said as he pulled up in front of us in a fancy looking car.

"You're going back to jail." I said.

"Do you want to find Karli or not?"

"He's right. We need him. And there's three of us, and at least 20 of them." Bucky said getting in the passenger seat.

I got in the back with Sam following. "Fine. But if you try that shit again..."

"I wouldn't dream of it."

Why was I always in the back?

"Well, that was one hell of a reunion." Sharon shut the back door.

"Come back to the States with us." Sam said.

"I can't. Just get me that pardon you promised me." Sharon walked off.

"Thanks for everything." Sam sat down in the seat.

"You're not gonna move your seat up, are you?" Sam said remembering the time he didn't.

"No." Bucky clearly didn't forget.

***

"Donya Madani. She's a refugee, yeah." Sam had been talking with some guy he worked with. "Call me if you get a hit. Thanks Torres."

"You okay?" Bucky asked while cleaning his metal arm. I didn't know he needed to clean it. Weird.

"Yeah." Sam gave a short answer. "Just thinking about all this shit Sharon had to go through. And Nagel referring to the American test subject like Isaiah wasn't even a real person. Just makes me wonder how many people have to get steamrolled to make way for this hunk of metal." Sam said.

"Well, it depends on who you ask. That hunk of metal saved a lot of lives." Bucky said.

"Yeah, I get that. All right. Maybe I made a mistake."

"You did." I said from my seat not facing them.

"Yeah. Maybe I shouldn't have put it in a museum. I should have destroyed it."

"Look, that shield represents a lotta things to a lotta different people, including me. The world is upside down, and we need a new Cap, and it ain't gonna be Walker. So before you go and destroy it, I'll take it from him myself."

Sam's phone went off just then. "Yeah, yeah. Okay."

Zemo came in and offered us food. I just glared at him and took the plate. I sniffed the food and set it on the table next to me.

"Thanks, good work. They found Madani...Dead. She died in Riga, a city near the Baltic Sea." sam said.

"I have a place we can go. I, for one, am looking forward to coming face to face with Karli. Oeznik, we're changing the course." Zemo said to his butler.

***

"I heard what became of Sokovia. Cannibalized by its neighbors before the land was cleared of rubble, erased from the map. I don't suppose any of you bothered visiting the memorial? Of course not. Why would you? We are here." Zemo said.

"I'm gonna go on a walk." I told the three men and they all turned to me.

"You good?" Bucky asked.

"Yeah. I'll see you guys in a bit." I started walking back the way we came.

Once the three of them were inside I picked up the little metal sphere off the ground.

I saw one placed on the side of a building wall. I walked across the street and grabbed it. It was making a soft beeping noise as I came close.

It was like following bread crumbs.

I walked down an alley.

"You dropped something." I said out loud.

When I didn't see anyone I turned around and waited.

"I was wondering when you were gonna show up." I turned back around to be met by an old friend.

"I am here for Zemo." Ayo spoke in her native language.