Interesting Concept But Poor Execution

Steve's POV

I stormed into Fury's office. "You just can't stop yourself from lying, can you?"

"I didn't lie. Agent Petrova had a different mission than yours." He turned in his chair to face me.

"Which you didn't feel obliged to share."

"I'm not obliged to do anything."

"Those hostages could have died, Nick." He finally looked up at me.

"I sent the greatest soldier in history to make sure that didn't happen."

"Soldiers trust each other. That's what makes it an army. Not a bunch of guys running around shooting guns."

He quickly stood up. "Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye. Look, I didn't want you doing anything you weren't comfortable with. Agent Petrova is comfortable with everything."

"I can't lead a mission when the people I'm leading have missions of their own."

"It's called compartmentalization. Nobody spills the secrets, because nobody knows them all."

"Except you." I said.

"You're wrong about me. I do share. I'm nice like that."

We walked into an elevator. "Insight bay." Fury said.

"Captain Rogers does not have clearance for Project Insight." The computer said.

"Director over-ride. Fury. Nicholas J."

"Confirmed"

We started to go down. "You know, they used to play music."

"Yeah. My grandfather operated one of these things for 40 years. Granddad worked in a nice building. Got good tips. He'd walk home every night, a roll of ones stuffed in his lunch bag. He'd say "Hi." they'd say "Hi." back." he continued to tell the story.

"Time went on the neighborhood got rougher. He'd say, "Hi." They'd say "Keep on steppin'." Granddad got to gripping that lunch bag a little tighter."

"Did he ever get mugged?" I looked at him.

"Every week some punk would say, "Whats' in the bag?","

"What would he do?"

"He'd show them. Bunch of crumpled ones, and a loaded .22 Magnum."

I nodded at him. It's crazy how this world has changed.

He moved over to stand beside me. "Yeah, Granddad loved people. But he didn't trust them very much."

Just then I had noticed we were coming into what looked like a giant garage.

"Yeah, I know. they're a little bit bigger than a .22."

Inside were three helicarriers, just like the ones from New York.

We exited the elevator. "This is Project Insight. Three next-generation helicarriers synced to a network of targeting satellites."

"Launched from the Lemurian Star." I looked at him.

"Once we get them in the air, they never need to come down. Continuous sub-orbital flight, courtesy of our new repulsor engines."

"Stark?" I asked. Stark had gotten to see how the old ones work a couple years ago so that was a good guess.

"He had a few suggestions once he got on up-close look at our old turbines. These new long-range precision guns can eliminate 1,000 hostiles a minute." He bragged. "The satellites can read a terrorist's DNA before he steps outside his spider hole. We're gonna neutralize a lot of threats before they even happen."

"Thought the punishment usually came after the crime."

"We can't afford to wait that long."

"Who's "we"?"

"after New York, I convinced the World Security Council we needed a quantum surge in threat analysis. For once, we're way ahead of the curve."

"By holding a gun to everyone on Earth and calling it protection." I looked around there were workers running around like crazy.

"You know, I read those SSR files. "Greatest Generation"?You guys did some nasty stuff.'"

"Yeah, we compromised. Sometimes in ways that made us not sleep so well. But we did it so that people could be free. This isn't freedom. This is fear." I told him gesturing to the helicarriers.

"SHIELD takes the world as it is, not as we like it to be. And it's getting damn near past time for you to get with that program, Cap."

"Don't hold your breath." And with that I walked off.