Power Broker (2)

Nikita's POV

The bright lights of Madripoor have changed over the decades. I was very hesitant to come here after the impression Bucky and I made here a while ago.

"We have to do something to fix this. I'm the only one who looks like a pimp." Sam complained.

"Only an American would assume a fashion-forward Black man looks like a pimp. You look exactly like the man you're supposed to be playing. The sophisticated, charming African rake named Conrad Mack, aka the Smiling Tiger." Zemo handed Sam the phone that had a picture of the guy.

"He even has a bad nickname. Hell, he does look like me, though."

"You smell this?" Zemo asked.

"Yeah, what is that? Acid?"

"Madripoor. No matter what happens, we have to stay in character."

Madripoor smells as bad as it did almost 50 years ago.

"Our lives depend on it. There's no margin for error. High Towns that way. Not a bad place if you wanna visit, but Low Town's the other way."

Zemo got in the front seat while Sam, Bucky, and I were forced to be squashed in the back.

Low Town was not a place you would want to visit. In fact, Madripoor was a place you didn't want to visit.

"Let me guess. We don't have any friends in High Town."

We drove in the rain as thunder boomed in the distance.

Four motorcycles rode up behind and beside us.

Almost the exact same thing happened last time we were here, except with helicopters. Two more pulled up in front of us.

Eventually they rode away.

***

We walked on a catwalk high in the sky, and I thought I was about to throw up. After the whole Soul Stone thing I had discovered a great fear of heights. They were now my greatest fear, and my only fear. Other than Hydra.

Zemo led us into a building. I saw people handing money to each other. Mostly men handing woman money.

Dear god how do people live like this.

We walked into a building with a neon monkey sign.

Bucky and I looked at each other and walked in. No way were we going to like this.

Monkey skulls everywhere. Last time we were here I could have sworn it was human skulls.

"Here we are." Zemo told us in a hushed tone.

"Ready to comply..." Zemo told the bouncer in Russian. "Winter Soldier? Atropos?" I just rolled my eyes.

I heard many whispers as we walked into the bar.

"Is that the Winter Soldier?"

"Is Hydra here?"

"She was killed last time."

I felt like laying down and dying.

"Hello, lady and gentlemen. Wasn't expecting you, Smiling Tiger." The bartender walked over to us.

"His plans changed. We have business to do with Selby." Zemo told him.

"The usual?" The bartender asked Sam.

Sam just nodded.

The man looked us over one last time then turned around.

Went to a glass jar and pulled out a snake. He cut the snake open at it's belly. I had the fight the urge not to hurl.