Chapter 5: While The Master's Away

Snape is gone and I'm left in his home. Niffy bows to me and dismisses herself. I'm more or less alone. Wandering around, I see a cupboard under the stairs. How did I not notice that the first time? When I look inside, it's a bunch of old muggle cleaning stuffs. Most of the cleaning chemicals are unusable- many appeared to have expired twenty years ago. I leave them and opt for taking the broom.

I'll start with giving the place a good sweeping and go from there. I'm only about half way through sweeping my room when I hear Dumbledore's voice.

"It is quite alright for me to be here Niffy." I open the door. The twisted house elf is standing her ground.

"Rules is, no one is allowed here while Master Snape is away. No exceptions. You is going now, Niffy will tell Master Snape that you is coming by." Dumbledore is standing just beyond the door. Niffy, a tenth his size, blocks the way.

"Let me at least speak with young Harry first." He steps past her. The little elf snaps her fingers and Dumbledore appears on the other side of the threshold again. "Niffy, speaking with Harry is of great importance."

"Master's orders. No exceptions."

"Severus sure has encouraged his elf to be quite paranoid." He chuckles lightly.

"Trust gets you betrayed. You is leaving now." Dumbledore notices me. He's about to say something when Niffy promptly closes the door. "Master Potter." The respectful tone returns. "You are keeping busy I see. Niffy can assist." She motions to the layer of dust coating my front.

"Is it really okay to not let Dumbledore in."

"Sevy said that no one is permitted while he is away. No exceptions." The other three elves come running out.

"Has he left?" The oldest questions.

"Yes. He will not return until Sevy is back." She looks to me. "My children are a secret." She holds one of her fingers up to her mouth. "Shh." Then smiling she looks at her adopted children. "Master Potter is wanting the house clean."

"Yes mama." Brux says simply. "Wendy, Zend and I will work upstairs."

"Good. Master Potter and I will start on this floor."

"I can manage on my own. There is no reason all of you should have to help me." Niffy looks me straight in the eyes.

"Niffy is not worthless. Niffy's children are not worthless." She speaks to me the same as she was to Dumbledore. "Niffy is head elf."

"I don't think you are worthless!" I'm holding my hands up nonthreateningly.

"Master Potter simply thinks that Niffy is disabled and unable to help."

"Niffy, I didn't mean anything bad about it. I'm just not use to having help is all." Slowly Niffy smiles.

"Master Potter has never had anyone tend to him." She laughs lightly. "I think maybe Sevey did choose a good soul bond then. Sevy has never had anyone tend to him either. But Niffy wants to take care of her masters. Both of them."

And so Niffy and her children helped me start on the long process of de-griming the house. We aren't near done when Snape appears. His mask and long robes are removed and handed to Niffy. Stiffly he stands.

"Sevy, you are back quickly."

"The dark lord is searching for Potter. He is displeased. All of the death eaters are actively searching for him." He exhales slowly. Blinking he looks at me. "You are filthy Potter." I flinch at the words before realizing what he means. Dust and other filth is covering my clothing.