Chapter 73: Checkmate

The pain and soreness I felt before is gone completely. I've never felt so strong, so well.

"Harry?"

"I know where he is. I don't know how, but I know. I need a broom. We need to get out of this place and get a broom." I'm grabbing his arm and pulling him along. This cavern feels familiar where as before I felt lost. I know the way now. I know it's secrets. You need only trust the mazes of halls and you will arrive where you need to be.

"Harry. How can you be sure."

"Severus. I'm not leaving you behind. I want to. I want to abandon you here knowing that you will not be able to find the way out without me. I want to know that you will be safe. I don't want you to come with me, but I'm not leaving you behind. I'm not charging ahead on my own this time. I know. I know and I need you to trust me on this. Just like you trusted me to come here." He squeezes my hand.

"Do you think you can win against him?" My mouth wants to say 'I'm not sure' but before I can, I say

"Yes."

Never in my life have I felt so sure.

I can't explain the things I just know. I can't explain why everything feels so achingly familiar.

Each founder had a home. A home that was kept private except to the other founders. I know where Dumbledore is hiding, and I need to get there now. I need this to end quickly.

Once out of the chamber of secrets I stop long enough for Severus to gasp for breath. I should be in just as much need for oxygen, but I don't feel any weakness. I only stopped for him. My heart isn't pounding from the brisk running, and even though Severus is curled over onto himself from dizziness, I am fine.

I hadn't even realized I was pushing Severus so hard.

To his credit, he doesn't complain even when I grab his arm and we begin racing to find a broom. I no longer care if we are seen. I just need to get to Dumbledore now and end him and this intoxication.

No man is meant to hold this much power.

Near the quidditch pitch there is always spare brooms and I don't even question taking one for our purposes. Before I can mount the broom, Severus wraps both of his arms around me.

"Harry. We. We don't have to do this. We can just..." He doesn't finish that sentence. "I don't want to face him. I don't want to fight anymore. I don't want you to die." It's only now that I realize how much he is shaking.

Severus and I don't talk about everything he has lost in his life. We never talk about the real issues because he just wants to forget them. He knows we can't run away. He knows we can't just do nothing. For once we both have to much to live for.

"Severus. I need you to be strong for me. We will win. And we will both walk away from this fight. After this, there will be no more fighting." I turn around so that I can embrace him. "After this you will be free."

He laughs bitterly. "Harry, I will never be free." I kiss him enjoying the taste of my soul bond. I kiss him enjoying this moment of purity before an execution.

"I can't do this without you, but with you, I am unstoppable." Together we both mount the broom, his arms wrap around my middle and his face is pressed into my back. When I lift off I can't make out anything he is saying over the sound of the rushing wind, but I know he is chanting. Chanting counter spells and willing us to both be safe.

Severus should have never been thrusted into this world of violence and impurity. He would have never been marked as a death eater or bounded to the will of Dumbledore or even myself. He should have been happy. He should have been loved.