Chapter 48: Plan into action... sort of

Severus is not faultless. I will never lie and say that he is. That being said. I know without any doubt that he is a good man. A good man that cares about me to some extent. I wouldn't say love... no, I wouldn't say love, but he does care for me. I do not trust everyone. I consider myself fairly skeptical of even those that I do trust. I've had to be.

I once trusted Dumbledore more than anyone. He was someone safe. I thought he was someone safe. I no longer trust him. I'm not sure what Severus and he have discussed. I'm not sure how much of what Dumbledore said was true. It doesn't really matter. Because Severus is someone that I trust... completely. That isn't easy for me to admit even to myself. Trusting someone completely means putting yourself at risk of being betrayed, but when it comes to Severus... I can't help but believe in him. I'm not sure what his plan it, but whatever it is... I know that it doesn't involve me getting hurt. That being said. I don't trust that his plan doesn't involve him getting hurt. And that is where the problem rises.

Dumbledore can believe that he is still able to manipulate me and Severus if he wants to believe that, but we aren't under his thumb anymore. Right now, I'm letting him carry on however he pleases, but once this war is over and Severus is no longer in danger of his abusive crazed lover, I'm going to out Dumbledore for the man that he is. He shouldn't be allowed to run this school and push other potentially innocent students into the arms of danger

Meeting with Dumbledore took up most of my two hours. I nodded and agreed with him and generally told him what he wanted to hear. Agreeing all the while about sending the boy to his ruin. I'm not sure if he knew that it was really me or not. He certainly is talented enough. His downside would be that he's cocky. Even if he did see through my disguise, he would never believe that I would trust Severus over him.

My husband. Sleeping. Trusting me.

I left the headmaster's office and made a beeline for the great doors. I have to make up for lost time. Not sprinting- because that would draw attention, but rather speed walking to show that 'Professor Snape' has places that he needs to be.

From there, I follow the guidance and pull of my left arm. Disguised as Severus, I take another sip of Polyjuice while walking into the forbidden forest. Walking and following the silent directions until I come to a great tree. It stands somewhat alone and my hand reaches out knowingly to grasp one of the twisty branches. High enough where even with Severus's improved height, I still have to reach on my tip toes.

It's like I can feel it. This is the official point outside of Hogwarts wards. I am officially out of the protective charms that Hogwarts provides. And the moment I realize that, I feel something grabbed in the pit of my stomach and pulled... transported.

I fight down the shiver that I feel. I fight down the panic. I fight down the desperation to run away.

A smile that is all teeth greets me. Overly friendly grins and a pare of sickly gray arms intertwined around me.

"Severus." The aged sounding voice says and I know who he is without looking at him. The embrace is cold, but noticeably affectionate and completely unabashed. "I have been so worried." He says overly polite.

"It was hard for me to get away." I say. Because I only thought this far. Why did I plan only this far.

"I have no doubt my precious snake." His thumb presses under my chin and without any resistance, dull teeth bite down into 'Severus's' neck until there are puncture wounds and blood bubbles up. "You taste off my snake, but I'm sure that is due to your tainting." Piercing eyes close in mild contentment. "I can only imagine the torture that you underwent under that aged madman and his thoughtless puppets." I shouldn't act too brash right now. My goal is to get Megan and get out.

I can feel him pressing against my mind. It's nothing like when Severus was teaching me about Legilimency. But I remember those lessons and I've been practicing just as he's instructed. Sacrifice a memory. Sacrifice something that he would wish to see.

So I do. A memory that will not seem overly suspicious. My first night with my husband. His laying down submissively but reluctantly. Scared. Unwilling. I focus on what he would be feeling and this seems enough to sate the serpent man in front of me.

He coos softly and somewhat affectionately.

"My loyal snake." The other deatheaters are watching on. I cannot tell who is who because everyone is in one of those masks that I remember seeing so vividly. "Worry not about that boy any longer, you are back safely with me. And rest assured, I will not let you go again."

The words come out kind, but I feel the underlying threat under them. Is this the fear that Severus always feels?

He takes my hand and most of the masks look away in disinterest.

"Come my little snake. I have a gift for you." I force my body to calm. And I force myself to not show the immense fear as he pulls me along. "I have been planning for your return. Draco has loyally been watching over you. At first I was planning to beat him for his disobedience and refusal to answer the call of the mark, but he explained that he acted in accordance with my will even if he were being disobedient. Tell me. Is it true that Draco was ensuring your protection against that boy. He explained that Potter would never think to sully his own reputation by acting untoward in front of another. I also understand that you have been unwell."

He sounds all the part of a concerned lover.

I know that Severus has told me that Voldemort is in no way faultless... something I already knew well. He did kill my parents after all. But even considering that, is it possible that Voldemort is the lesser of two evils. I know he cannot be trusted, but he does appear to somewhat care for Severus.

He takes me to a room. There laying on a clean unsullied bed, is Megan. She's in deep sleep.

From behind two long arms wrap around me. "I saved her just from you. For some time I've felt that you were hiding something from me, were you afraid." A snakelike tongue twists out and traces the shell of my ear. A hand is reaching down into my pants and I want to shake him off. I want nothing more than to scream or beg him to remove his hands, but I don't move because the next words remind me why he is so dangerous. "If I had to wait any longer for you, I would have used her as a replacement."

Again, he bites down into my neck.

"Why did you hide her from me." His fingers yank my hair and I'm afraid to show any reluctance lest he harm her. "Withholding information is the same as lying and you know how I feel about liars." She's so close, but the door is closed and I'm being ushered to another room not unlike the one she was in.

"My lord, I am sorry for my disobedience."

"Shh. Shh." A hand squeezes around the limp appendage in my pants and all of the fear comes at once. "You know I prefer you calling me master. Severus my love. I cannot have you caring for anyone more than me. You know that. So she will have to be killed."

"No! Please. I will do anything you want. Please do not hurt her." I beg. And I mean it. For Severus to lose someone like his princess. I would do anything to keep her safe for him. He laughs lowly.

"You promised the same for that once friend of yours. Lily Evens I believe. My love. You know I don't have any choice. I cannot allow anyone to occupy your heart other than me." I feel a hard appendage stabbing into my side and I know what he intends to do. "And besides my naughty snake. You already must do anything I say." He bites down on my neck until there is blood. "So. We will make love and then you will go and kill the girl yourself. With your own hands."

Before I can beg or plead with him I know that my time is up.

My literal time that I was given by Draco and the time of my Polyjuice. Unable to take anymore potion to counteract the change, I slowly return back before the enemy. I watch as my vision changes and the look of adoration and love shifts into unamused anger and hatred.

I underestimated him.

And I overestimated my own abilities.

I thought I would be able to save her and then return to my husband. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

No one is here to save her.

And no one is here to save me.