Chapter 34: Groups

Diced. Not chopped. Stirred slowly for ten minutes. Potion brewing is about minor details. Each action is equally important to the next. The classroom is actively listening to Severus teaching. They are actively listening to his words of caution. How easily it is to mess up because one acted to hastily. We are broken up in teams. Only this time, we were instructed differently. Normally we are permitted to choose any partner we desire, but this time there was one stipulation. Choose any partner, but they must be in a house different from our own. This being a class of Gryffindor and Slytherins, no one had much choice.

Ron and Hermione were forced to separate and choose someone other than each other for a partner and I was faced with wondering who I should pair with. I wasn't really sure. It was actually Draco who grabbed me up. The number of potential partners were dwindling and he sat next to me and glared, daring me to question him.

The glare only made me laugh. After all. One of the few Gryffindor's left was Neville and I know exactly why he doesn't want to pair with him. It's only then that I noticed that Neville is actually the last remaining student. It's an odd number.

Severus notices then and restraining a grin instructs Neville to pair with Draco and myself. I laughed when Draco turned his glare to Severus.

"Professor Snape," He says icily. "I really don't think it fair that I'm outnumbered." This doesn't faze Severus at all. In fact, he smirks.

"It can't be helped. There is an odd number. Think of it as a chance to broaden your horizons and become familiar with student you normally wouldn't." He addresses the rest of the class. "There is bad blood between these two houses more so than any other house at Hogwarts. In the past, I have overlooked this and even encouraged it. Times are changing. In my classroom, consider yourselves unaffiliated with your houses." He writes out the page number for the instructions and the three of us get started. Neville inspects each ingredient and makes sure that it is of good quality. He's the best for that task. I begin to process each ingredient that Neville gives the okay on. Chopping. Dicing. Shredding. I can do that. And Draco. He has natural understanding.

Severus told me once that knowing the process will only get a student a part of the way there. The air pressure. Humidity. Quality of ingredients. Substitutions. That comes from experience and a deep understanding. Draco has that. He doesn't follow the directions, he only uses them as a guide and it reminds me of the half blood prince's potion text... Severus's old potion text book. The directions only get a student a part of the way there.

Our potion is one of the best.

At the end of class as everyone is packing up, Severus's clear voice cuts through the clatter.

"Get comfortable in your groups. You will each remain with that partner for the remainder of the school year." Some students grumble, but for the most part everyone quietly nods and then leaves.

I stay behind because it's my last class for the day, and Draco stays behind.

"I can't believe you." Draco says angerly. "How do you expect me to stand working with him. It's difficult enough to be in the same school." Severus smiles and easy light half grin.

"Mr. Longbottom had to be placed in a group and it seemed most practical to put someone known to be the weakest in potions with one of the best."

"That's not why you did it and you know that." Severus laughs carefreely and it makes my chest ache. He should always look like that. Eyes wrinkles from laughing. Mouth pulled into a wide smile. Perfect. "I can't deal with being that close to him." Draco says seriously. "I might end up jumping him."