Chapter 70: The Founders

Lightly a hand shakes me and I can feel myself waking up.

"Harry." The hand shakes me more insistently. "Harry, wake up."

"Ravenclaw manner." Severus's eyes are squinted in confusion. "Severus, their were voices. And I couldn't hear it all and I don't really understand, but Ravenclaw manner. That's all I heard." His mouth opens then closes.

"Harry, there isn't a Ravenclaw manner." He presses his hand to his mouth. "The founders mostly resided at the school that they created together. I don't believe there is a Ravenclaw manner at least, but I suppose I wouldn't call myself an expert."

"What do you know about the founders." I need to know and I don't know how to verbally express that need. "What do you know about the founders." ask again.

"Well." He sits next to me and looks up trying to gather his thoughts. "It all really depends on what research one does. There are countless contradictions. The few things that all resources agree on are that, there were four friends. Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Salazar Slytherin, and Rowena Ravenclaw. The four of them were very close and gave some of their immense magic to build Hogwarts. Each of them placed some of their magic inside the sorting hat so that future students could belong to the house that best suited them. That's where the agreements dropped off." He bites his thumb. "The rest changes depending on whom you ask, and everyone believes a bit differently.

"What do you believe?" He crosses his arms.

"The dark lord was the heir to Slytherin. When he unlocked the chamber of secrets, he was able to access all of Salazar Slytherin's journals. Many were educational. Potions. Dark magic. Rare ingredients and where to find them. Among those were personal ones. Only the heir of Slytherin could ever have access to his most personal thoughts. The dark lord allowed me to read these ancient writings I believe as a way to show his care for me. I don't believe he knew about the personal writings. He did not have much desire or need for his ancestor's knowledge." He's silent for many minutes. "I do not know if I completely believe what Salazar Slytherin wrote in his journals, but I believe their has to be at least some truth to it. According to his journals, Salazar Slytherin and Rowena Ravenclaw fought for the affection of Godric Gryffindor. Even among the founders he was know to be one of the most talented in his field. According to Salazar, Godric was charming and kind to everyone."

"Then what was the problem?" Severus bites his bottom lip trying to gather his thoughts. I spend a lot of time watching him and watching his thought process before he actually speaks.

"Salazar did not truly believe that Godric would choose him. He wrote of an immense love but also bitter acceptance. Godric did not fancy men. Regardless, Salazar did not impose his love on Godric and they were able to remain friends. Rowena was spiteful when she was rejected. In Salazar's and Rowena's competition to gain Godric's affection, he and Helga became intimate with one another. Salazar accepted it. He spoke of the wedding and although he ached over the unrequited love, he admitted that Helga and Godric were a good match. She was awkward but loving to all and Godric was quite smitten. Salazar Slytherin was the best man and he wrote at length about the wedding. The mixture of feelings. He and Godric were very close and he hated that Godric hesitated before asking Salazar to be the best man. Before anything, Salazar valued the other man's friendship. Rowena did not attend the wedding."

"I heard that Salazar Slytherin was well, obsessed with pure blood propaganda." Severus nods.

"That is the standard belief. I have not read anything that disregards that. Honestly only the founders truly know. As far as the journals stated, he left Hogwarts as a way to distance himself from the rejection he felt. During this time he traveled the world and gained knowledge. Learning was his first passion. He eventually had an heir, but it was very much done to continue his family line. I have no reason to believe the journals. History is written by the victors and everyone is the hero of their own story. Much of what he said could have been embellished or fabricated all together. I have no reason to believe the journals." He states again. "But I do believe them. He spoke of turmoil. Wanting to stay close to his dearest friend, but also knowing that he needed to distance himself."

"What about Rowena Ravenclaw? What ever happened to her?"

"I have not been able to find any history on her aside from she was very intelligent and was a founder. Not much more is really known. Salazar Slytherin spoke of not trusting her, and even she eventually had an heir. In that time with so few wizards, it was greatly encouraged to reproduce. I'm not sure if she ever accepted that her love wasn't returned. I really don't know. Our history books do little to delve into the true lives of the founders." He leans again me comfortably. "I wish I had more to offer you, but most of what I know is likely not relevant to our worries over Dumbledore."

His dark eyes slide shut. It's still very late after all. Deeply he exhales a relaxed breath. "Severus, what do you think his plan could be? I'm not a strategist. I'm not exactly the most intelligent. This isn't my strength. But this is yours. What do you think his plan is?" His eyes stay lightly closed. "If you have any theory at all, I'd really like to know."

"You are to valuable to kill. I'm sure he knows you are still alive. He wants your magical inheritance. He wants to unify the magic of all the founders. I've thought a lot about what his goal could be. I thought that maybe he has intentions of taking over the magical world, but I doubt that. He was so well loved and he had chances to take on a role greater than headmaster. I predict that whatever his goal may be, it has something to do with revenge. He is not a foolish man but he still showed his true colors at an impromptu time. I don't believe he would have done that if his goal was to manipulate the magical world."

"Severus."

"I have spent a lot of time with Albus Dumbledore, but I know very little about the man personally. He didn't share aspects of his past and only glimpses of his personality." Severus squeezes my hand. "Whatever he's planning. I'll protect you."

"And I'll protect you."

"I know you are scared Harry, you don't have to pretend to be brave."

"Of course I'm terrified Severus. I finally have something to protect."

How far have I come since I first met this man. Hermione is researching about Dumbledore. She is searching for any lead that can find his hiding spot.

What is your plan you crazy old man.