Chapter 72: Intoxication

I'm as amazed by this secret lair as I was the first time. My arm over Severus's shoulder is all I have for support. The more I move the more exhausted I feel, but when I see his eyes light up at the basilisk's body it's worth the overwhelming soreness.

He's briskly informing me of everything that can be brewed with such a rare ingredient.

"And there are kilometers of scales. Kilometers! Such beautiful fangs. They would make a perfect..." He continues to ramble on and although I don't understand the majority of what he's saying, I love seeing how animated he is.

All at once he remembers that this visit is for business not pleasure.

"Did you not see the basilisk the time Voldemort let you in here?"

"No. I knew of it, but the dark lord kept it in hiding. I knew it was gigantic, but I didn't expect it to be this size." He continues to carry me along through tunnels that I never saw the first time I was down here. "Do you have any idea what exactly we are looking for?"

"No." but "I think I'll know it when I see it." I'm not sure how long I'm hobbling along. He shows me the rooms he has visited as well as the journals he has read. Nothing gives me any clue to Dumbledore's plan or where he could possibly be.

I'm not sure if either of us even know the way back anymore. This labyrinth seems completely randomized. Some paths look ancient with cobwebs lining the entire wall. The air is stale and moderately difficult to breath. "Harry." His voice is patient but still focused and logical as it always is. "We can't stay down here much longer. It's been at least two hours. Eventually we will be looked for and I hate to think what Poppy will do to the both of us for leaving against doctor's orders."

"Just a bit more." Are these halls endless. Do they circle back on themselves. Why is it both familiar and un at the same time. Why is this place comforting and nostalgic. Where are we going. What are my legs searching for.

"Harry."

"Please. I feel like we are so close."

"You're burning up. I think you have a fever." His wonderful skin feels comfortable against my forehead. "We've already pushed your body to much."

"Please. Just a bit more." He exhales in exasperation and crouches down a bit.

"Get on my back. I can carry you at least for a little. You shouldn't push yourself anymore."

"I'm okay. I can for a little bit..."

"Harry. Either get on or get ready to start finding our way back."

I don't know why it's awkward to be carried like this. Maybe it's because I don't believe I've ever been carried before. It feels... really nice actually. Severus. He seems to be just blindly taking any passage that he fancies. Our relationship has changed so much. My arms tightly around his neck, he's arms supporting my legs. I'm sure my weight is a strain on his more frail body. He's healthier than he use to be, but I know this has to be difficult for him to carry me. Still, he doesn't complain. He doesn't falter.

It feels really nice.

It feels...

Safe.

I want to keep him safe. Please. Salazar. The founders. Help me keep the man I love safe.

Loud rumbling startles both of us. The halls themselves are moving and altering their path until there is a wall behind us and the only path left to take is directly in front of us separated by a single wooden door.

Neither of us say anything, but Severus draw's his wand and hands it to me. He clearly has decided that he will not put me down, and one of us needs to be prepared to cast spells. Or maybe he's just handed me the wand hoping that it will protect me should something happen.