Hunts and Tricks (A)

I had gotten home from the crafts store Monday to an empty house. It was spring break, so everyone was off doing their own thing. Eve wouldn't be back for a few hours and my mom had agreed to take part of Carlisle's shift. The Cullen's were out of town or something, Carlisle needed someone to take his shift. But I had a whole week to work on my project and I planned to capitalize on it.

The moment I entered the home, I opened the door for Toby to run around as I worked in the garage. It was time to start the basic planning for my final project, so I needed to start setting the pieces up. I had the glue and grinder ready to start cutting the wood.

This is what consumed my mind and it did a good job at making me forget everything else. I was working for so long that I didn't realize what time it was, but I was soon getting hungry. The growl of my stomach was nothing compared to the sound of a small yelp.

"Toby?" I walked into the house looking for the old dog in question, believing he fell off the couch or something similar. Nothing sinister crossed my mind, until I stepped into the living room. The same tingly feeling began creeping up my skin.

In the back yard is where I found Toby, he was on the ground. I ran up to see he was injured. His side cut up and bleeding. My only thought then was there had to be a wild animal around... but what?

It couldn't be a bear because it wouldn't have ran off, I would have seen and heard it. Maybe it was a smaller rabid animal, but I couldn't see anything.

"Tobs?" he whimpered in pain. "it's okay, I'm gonna take care of you okay?"

Wiping tears from my eyes I ran back inside to grab a few towels, my mom or Eve would be home soon, and they could help me. I just needed to stop the bleeding and get him inside.

After searching the house, I ran back outside, only this time I saw something else... a man. He was rugged looking, blonde hair in a ponytail, barefoot. But it was the way he was standing, that gave it away.

He had Toby in his hands, holding him by his neck. "what do we have here?"

I couldn't think, what do I say? Toby was growling slightly but I could tell it was strained. I said the only thing I could think of, and that was to save Toby... he was the only thing I had left of my dad, the only thing I have left that we did together.

"Please" I whispered but I knew he could hear me. "Please don't hurt Toby"

"that's cute..." he replied with a smirk.

Multiple things happened at once... I heard the snapping of bones and Toby give a final growl. Two an anguished scream rang out through the hills as I fell to the ground, watching my best friend fall dead. And three a blinding pain in my wrist before darkness consumed me.

I woke up much, much later, in a location that I had never been to before and my wrist radiating in pain. Far more pain than it was when I punched that guy. What I'd give to be back in that position rather than this, tape around my mouth, my hands tied behind my back.

Looking around I was in a room, surrounded by mirrors. It was like a house of horrors, everywhere I looked there was a reflection and I didn't enjoy it.

My mind went back to my mom... what was she thinking now? Was she home? Did she find Toby? God, Toby. I couldn't stop the tears; my oldest friend was gone... he was dead and he was killed by a vampire. Was this karma, for allowing Bella to get involved with the Cullens, was this karma for delving into the Cullens.

None of it was logical but Vampires weren't exactly logical.

I didn't remember how I got here or what was going on but the sound of a phone pulled me out of my thoughts.