Things are Changing (A)

I could see the surprise on the face of everyone around me, I guess they expected me to shocked or in denial. But they recovered quickly and began explaining how Sam was the alpha, since he was the first to phase and the oldest.

Then Sam gave me a couple of rules to follow.

1. I can't see my friends or be involved with anyone other than the pack and my family. That made sense, I couldn't risk hurting anyone. And being sick for the past 2 months really meant I didn't see anyone. Even Mike stayed away.

2. No revealing yourself. Or no telling anyone. Again, that made sense and it wasn't a problem.

Of course, I felt a little bad because I knew I couldn't help Charlie with Bella, but she didn't seem to want help and right now I needed to focus on helping myself.

"okay, Alex. Do you want to cut your hair or not" Sam asked looking at me.

"you did"

He nodded "it is easier to handle the transformations without worrying about my hair being in the way all the time. as you know hair ties will be destroyed when you phase"

In the end I let Sue cut my hair, leaving it just above my shoulders and it was time to get the tattoo. I wasn't sure how they did it, because legally I shouldn't be able to get the tattoo until I was 18, but I guess they had some connections.

It didn't hurt nearly as much as I thought it would or should, I suppose that was another perk, high pain tolerance. The tattoo rested on my right bicep, black and there for everyone to see. It was to signify my connection to my brothers (the pack) and my duty to the tribe.

The tattoo was a circle, awolf in the middle to signify our ancestors and the wolves we descended from,the willy raven was on top of the circle. He was important to our tribe, as hebrought us the sun. And the whale below, whales were also a staple in thecommunity. We once hunted them but now we honor them as they migrate to our littleseaside town every spring.

 We once hunted them but now we honor them as they migrate to our littleseaside town every spring

By the time I got home I was very different than when I left. I wasn't sure how my mom would respond but I guess I'll find out. I walked into the house, the smell of food wafting through the air. Only Eve was currently home, I assumed my mom stopped by the Swans to see if Bella was getting better.

Eve looked at me the moment I entered the kitchen.

"hey" I breathed out, unsure what to say. A lot of things happened today and part of me was just now realizing how little I actually thought about it. They just said, hey you're a giant wolf that's supposed to kill vampires and protect humans want to join our cult. And I said yes, sir.

And let them brand me. Yeah, everyone's going to talk...

"um... you cut your hair" Eve said finally. I nodded.

"where's mom?"

"Charlie's, she offered to help clean up. They're hoping a clean environment will help Bella."

"I wish I could help" I mumbled.

"we all wish we could help, but Bella has to let us in to do it, the best thing we can do is show her we're there."

I winced knowing I couldn't do that. Bella was already drawn into the supernatural she doesn't need to be brought into it again. "yeah, I guess. I'm going to take a quick shower."

"okay, make it quick though dinner's almost done, and Val should be back soon"

I nodded and ran off. Once I was done with my shower, I pulled on a pair of grey joggers that looked more like capris now, a sports bra and I added a simple jacket, left unzipped and the sleeves pushed up to my elbows.

I ran back downstairs when I heard the front door open. I got to the kitchen just in time to see my mom walk through the threshold. I stopped to help carry her bags.

"someone feels better" she laughed.

I nodded with a small smile; I did feel better, a lot better, better than I ever had. I still had some questions, but they could wait. Hopefully.

"and someone cut their hair" Eve called out as she finished putting the plates down. My mom looked at me.

"are there any more changes we should know about?"

I took a breath, I had to tell them something, maybe not I'm chasing down vampires, but they should know where I run off too or why I'm gone so early or late. "yeah... its... I mean I kinda joined a cult of sorts" I replied playing with my food slightly.

"you wanna run that by me again?" my mom replied an eyebrow raised.

"it's not an actual cult but it's the 'pack' with others like me and Sam teaches us how to control ourselves and keeps us busy. We have like patrols, to take care of any anger or antsy feelings. You know."

I my mom nod slightly. "okay"

"Sam doesn't think it's smart for me to go back to school until I have full control or for me to be around other people. If I get angry, I could phase and hurt someone. I also can't tell anyone else about this"

My mom and aunt nodded understanding that they couldn't tell anyone either. I know my mom hated lying to Charlie, but it was for the best.

"I also may have gotten a tattoo" I replied quietly. Not quite enough for them not to hear obviously as Eve let out a cackle. My mom sighed.

"it's okay, this is fine" she mumbled. I shared a look with Eve and couldn't help but laugh as well. "okay, let me see it" my mom said.

"it's not bad, it just symbolizes to the elders and those who know about the pack that I am in it. It's also kinda like a group thing, a bonding experience." I replied removing my jacket to show them my arm.

"well, it's not a naked person so it's all good" Eve joked.

"Sam wouldn't have let her get something inappropriate" my mom replied prodding at the marking. It was basically healed, no scabs, no redness.

"what time are you meeting Sam tomorrow?" my mom asked

"um in the afternoon, after lunch. Why?"

"Because tomorrow, you and I are going to Port Angeles to get you some new clothes. At least until we can order you some. I can't have you wondering around practically naked."