Chapter 22

Helen

I didn't know what to say.

I listened to everything she said. But what was I supposed to say back.? She just poured out a small part of her pain, which I know, there were a lot more still hidden, still untold.

We knew. Me, Kevin and Gwen always kind of knew there was more to her, a lot more. What she is with us is a façade she wore to fool herself more so than others. Just like us. But she being she, was there for us to come out of the little shell we were entraped in and she made us see the light of life again, to live again. And we will also be there to help her come out of her shell. That is a solemn promise we made to ourselves.

We know, she is broken just like us. Possibly more than us. It was evident in how stronger she was than any of us even though she believes otherwise. We had problems but even through that, we had our own shares of happiness in life. In my life there was some faint memories for me to cherish and some faded moments for me to lock away in my heart.

With Lex, she was still a mystery to me. Even after all these years. We don't know much about her. But I doubt if there have been many such moments in her life. She don't tell us much about her family or childhood. All we know is that she have a twin sister who she loves to death. She never opened up to us neither did we ever force her to in anyway.

But now looking at Lex, I could see a part of her which she always hid in the darkness. A part she buried deep inside the burning façade.

Looking at her now I could see the scared girl. A girl who tried to fight..but -like million of girls out there- she failed. Failed to protect herself from the darkness that tried to consume her. She screamed, wailed, thrashed, but there was no one to hear her like she was there for me.
I'm happy that she opened up to me, even if a little bit. Knowing someone is there to listen is a solace. A blessing. A blessing that not everyone is often gifted with.

Before I could say anything the elevator dinged, indicating our arrival to the designated floor. Without waiting for me she rushed out to the floor with me following her suit.

This floor too had a reception desk with both male and female employee. They smiled and nodded at us as we passed, having already informed about us I think.

Following the receptionist's advice we moved forward and I noticed an entrance to a cafe that seemed warm but formal through the glass walls. An indoor cafe on the top floor?

Mm..Strategic. I think I saw one on the groundfloor lobby too. But that one seemed more grand than this.

Finally, we reached in what seemed like a hall. The walls were painted a light shade and the black couches along with the minimalistic but sleek furniture and accessories gave off a really superior, classy vibe. There was a bookshelf filled with books and magazines attached to the wall to our left, clearly meant for the visitors who could kill time by reading those.

Alexia sat down on one of the sofas with a sigh, keeping her elbows on her knees she covered her face with her palms.
Me being me, sat on a chair few feets away from her.

Don't get me wrong. I need to give her some time to compose herself.

After waiting for a ten minutes or so, a man seemingly in his mid twenties came towards us.

"Miss. Abby Leyton and Miss. Stacy Ruther, right?" He asked with a smile.

"Yes, that's us." I nodded standing up from my chair with Lexi joining beside me.

"Can we see him now?" She asked impatiently tapping her foot.

"Of course, Ma'am. The last meeting lasted a bit longer than intended. That's why he is late. You can see him now, Ma'am. We are extremely sorry for the tardiness."
The man said smiling apologetically