Chapter 74

Alexia

A wide ugly grin was etched to my face by the time they put their instruments down and the last of notes faded into dull throbs.

"How was it?"

"B- Brilliant." I sniffled, clapping softly in delight.

"Were you planning this all week?" I asked, trying hard to keep the tears at bay. But I was having a hard time reigning in the emotions from the whole thing.

 "Of course, I was. As your boyfriend, it's my duty to make this day as special as you are." He smiled, pinching my cheeks.

"I have to say Aarvin, I was really surprised when you played the guitar and I never imagined that you could sing like this! Back when you had suggested all this, I thought you were somewhat bluffing. Points for maximum effort and all. But you simply nailed it. Talk about dreamy men written by women…." Kevin swooned as he stared dreamily at Aarvin.

"Love, you're drooling." Gwen grunted, clearly displeased with a starry-eyed Kevin.

"Oops! Sorry."' He smiled sheepishly, planting a kiss on Gwen's cheeks as he seemed to be seconds away from ripping Aarvin's head off.

"This was amazing guys! I loved it! Thank you." I said once again, finally succeeding in keeping my eyes dry. The fresh fragrance of roses that still filled the room helped me calm my heart. The roses, the warm light, the simple decorations, every little thing mattered. So much.

In the centre of it all, stood the man who made all this possible. With eyes and that soft smile completely dedicated to me. 

"Guess it's time to call it a day then."

"Huh?" I turned towards Kevin with a frown to which he shrugged with a cheeky wink.

"I-We were planning to hangout some more. But it seems like people are already distracted." He looked between me and Aarvin pointedly before continuing, "It was a good day, but I am tired now. So might as well hit the bed early." He explained with an exaggerated loud yawn at the end.

I chuckled.

Just like that, with final birthday wishes and a round of good nights, everyone retired to their rooms and I pulled Aarvin with me to mine.

"Welcome to my lair." I smiled closing the door behind us before plopping down on the bed.

"Not very disciplined, I see."  He remarked, running his eyes over my room which was in a state of -what I like to call- organised chaos.

"Yeah. Well..I don't iron my duvet if that's what you're implying." I had to be defensive.

"No need to pout, Coffee. I wasn't judging. Merely stating an observation."  He smiled, leaning on the table before crossing his arms over his chest.

Sticking out my tongue at him, I stood up before pulling a t-shirt out of my wardrobe.

"Need help?"

"To change?" I smiled, amused at his question.

"No! I mean..to untie your hair. It seems a bit complex."  He nodded at my hair which was tied up into an updo.

"Sure. I could use a little help."

I sat down on the edge of my bed with my back towards him. I could feel his fingers on my hair picking out the pins carefully, trying not to hurt any of the strands.

"Devil! How many hairpins do you need to tie this thing up? There are too many!"

"Of course there is. How the hell do you think we keep our hair in its place with all these pretty hairstyles if it wasn't for these pins? My head hurts like a bitch." I grumbled as I continued to wipe out the traces of makeup from my face while he worked on my hair.