Chapter 49

Aarvin

My younger self was sitting on the roof top, looking up at the night sky. A wide grin was plastered on my face on seeing the big white gleaming moon.

“Moon is really pretty. Isn’t it?”  I asked not taking my eyes off the moon which was also looking down at me.

“Yeah…” he murmured following my gaze to the moon up at high.
“But don't forget to look down once in a while.”

I looked down instinctively to see a small creepy brown fly crawling on my hand making me scream.

“Ron! Ron! It’s that fly again..!!” I panicked shaking my hands vigorously, already on the verge of crying.

“Hey…Calm down. Calm down.” With a small smile, he used his bare hands to pick the thing up from me.

I puffed out a huge breath of relief when he removed it from my hands.

“Isn’t it the same thing that we saw in the morning?” I asked noting to keep a safe distance from it.

Seeing my scowl, he smiled softly at me and looked back at the fly in his hands. Without saying anything he blowed softly onto it making my scowl deepen.

“What ar-woah!” I gasped loudly when I saw the 'thing' glowing in the dark.

“What is that?!” I asked inching closer to him, astonished by what I was seeing.

“This ‘thing’ is a firefly”  He stated smiling at the fly which was emitting a soft yellow light in the darkness.

“Wow….It’s so pretty!” I breathed out wondered by its beauty.

“Now, isn't this the same thing you called creepy and ugly when you saw it in the day light?” He challenged lifting an eyebrow.

I pouted.

“Don't give me that look Ryle.” He chuckled stroking my hair.
“It is not your fault. The thing is, most of us don't see the value of someone unless the time comes when we need them the most only to find them not there. Just like everyone in the world, appearence is what matters the most. The moon you see in the sky-” He pointed at the moon,

“-is what everyone sees. Most of us don't care to see the millions of stars around it. It is always the big and bright one which catches our attention, often ignoring the small ones nearer to us, making our lives more beautiful than the unreachable big ones ever will. Like this small firefly which was on your hand. First you called it a creep and when it glowed, you looked at it in wonder. Liston Ryle..” He said looking fondly into my eyes.

“Don't consider anyone lesser. You don't know how someone is going to influence you one day or another in life. Like this firefly, it is just an unnoticeable insect in the day. But it will lead you through the dark when you're looking for a way during night. No moon will come down to help you. It would keep shining high in the sky making everyone desire. I am not saying moon is bad because like moon, you’ve to dream big and high. You should have the will to chase it throughout your life. But mostly… don't forget the little flies which will join you on your journey, helping you in ways which you never knew you needed. While a moon can give light to a whole night but still keep you in dark, one little firefly is enough to kill the darkness around you. And when you find that firefly of yours, treasure it. Not inside closed bottles, but by letting it fly free, glowing around you.” He said but chuckled at the end.

“You didn't understand a word I said. Did you?” He asked shaking his head at my puzzled face.

With a laugh, he pulled me to a hug.