Chapter 67

Aarvin

With each step to the second floor, I could feel the heaviness inside my heart increasing, needing to be by her side but unable to watch her lying on a hospital bed unconscious.

Running a hand through my hair, I sighed.

***

"The drug has been completely flushed out of her body, yet we don't know if there's any long lasting impacts of its presence and can only assess it after she wakes up. But there is nothing to be worried about, she will be fine and out of danger. There have been some excitations initiated by the drug, but it was very fortunate that you could bring her here without wasting any time, as we only had to do minimal damage control. Nothing irreparable. A few seconds later and the situation would have been very different and dire. Anyway, don't worry. She'll wake up. Only then can we say anything more."

I let out a deep breath at his words. Relief filled me like holy water. 

"But how long would it take for her to wake up?" I asked anxiously.

"About that.." He tugged on his coat before continuing. "We cannot say for sure to be honest. It may take only one day. Maybe two days, maybe a week. Apart from the drug, there has many internal and external injuries. Her body has to heal itself in the case of the majority of those wounds. But hey, let's hope for the best. She is responding to the medicines and it's a good sign." He smiled faintly, as if he knew I need something to hold on. But his eyes, they told me a different story.

"Another important thing, the drug injected in her is something out of our knowledge. Even though there hasn't been any official records about the drug, the use of that chemical composition has been a studied rumor. Medically its impact on sexual desire and drive is known. From what I could find, it has very nasty side effects. We don't know what happened while she was under the influence, but if... anything did happen, then you have to be more careful around her. The psychological after effect might be more crucial than any physical side effects. I just want all of you to keep that in mind. I'll do everything I can. Hope for the best." Dr. Hassan said, patting my shoulder with an encouraging smile.

***

Now it's been four days.

Four days since I last saw those feisty brown eyes glaring at me with that fire in them for anything and everything I did.

My life was a mess. I was a mess.

I don't how I am still holding on while I felt like my whole world was withering away in pieces.

It's really funny if you ask me.

To see my past and my future, both struggling to be alive while all I've done is stay there like a bystander, watching them fight, seeing them suffer. Without doing a thing. That's how pathetic I am.

After ten years- I felt like that sixteen year old self in the dark. Looking around for an escape while all I could see was the darkness that crawled closer and closer as I curled up into a ball with my palms covering my ears tightly, begging for all of it to end.

"You look like shit." Mr. Winx exclaimed the moment I stepped onto the floor where Coffee was admitted.

I could feel my insides quivering at the sight of her weak form lying on the bed with several wires and tubes connected to her body. She looked  so small and fragile...which she never was.

"What does the doctor say?" I asked, ignoring his statement.

Instead of my usual pressed suit and tie outfits, I was dressed in a casual sweatshirt and joggers. Even my hair was in a disarray with the frequency in which I ran my hand through it. I couldn't bring myself to care. I was barely going through the motions of life. The stubble she loved so much was now a short beard. I had dark eye bags angrily announcing my haggard state. No wonder Mr. Winx said so, I probably look like a zombie from its grave.