Chapter 70

Aarvin

"And the reason for your sudden withdrawal from the contract is..?" I asked, leaning back in the chair, my arms resting on the table.

"As I have already told Mr. Anderson, I am no longer interested in this deal. Your accounting team was supposed to give the first draft of the financial blueprint for the project yesterday. I am yet to receive it or any updates about that." Mr. Burton hissed, jabbing the table repeatedly with his forefinger trying to emphasize his point.

"I accept that there was some oversight on my part. I have been busy with my personal life these last weeks and I had to take an unexpected and unfortunately long break from office matters. I acknowledge my negligence and that is the only reason why I even bothered to explain myself to you. But Mr. Burton, your answer doesn't justify why you would break the agreement and approach the Walkers' with the same deal. As far as I know, I signed that agreement. Please enlighten me as to what or who gave you the right to annul a contract I signed, without my knowledge or any prior notification for that matter."

He visibly tensed at the sharpness of my words but tried to hide his shaking hands under the table.

"Y-you failed to uphold the terms! You don't have the right to question me Anderson. I will do as I please and I need the money you cost me over this bloody piece of paper!" He exclaimed, trying to save his rising anxiety with anger.

How pathetic.

"Firstly, when you're talking to me, Mr. Burton, you will address me as Mr. Anderson and second, you will not, under any circumstances swear in my office. Understood?" I asked nonchalantly, looking him in the eyes.

He gulped audibly before nodding furiously.

I nodded.

"Now, I am sure you are aware of the obvious competition the Walkers' have been having with my company though I still don't understand when they ever thought they were even half worthy to compete against me. However I won't pretend to be blind to their underhanded methods to have something over us and I also know they are not over using some special generosity and kind coercion in order to achieve that. With the current state of conflict within your board and the grave turnovers, I don't think it will be wrong to assume you, as well, are not over those generous persuasion techniques either." I said sitting straight in my chair with my hands intertwined on top of the table.

His eyes widened at my accusation, but he was too frozen in his shock to even open his mouth to stutter out some retort.

I continued.

"As I have said before, I know the shortcomings on our part and just because of that I am giving you five minutes to reconsider your decision. It would also do you well to remember how failure to produce the budget blueprint is not violating any of the terms in the contract and with you going to the Walkers', it would be you who is actually breaking one of the main clauses. I don't think I have to tell you the legal implications of such a move. And remember, as the head of the national board I have the power to take executive decisions on your quiet acquaintance and agreements with many international organizations without the knowledge or approval of the board."

"W-What..?! H-How do..y-you..-"

"..Know that?" I supplied taking pity at his horrified state.

He nodded, his eyes wide with terror.

"I know much more than this Mr. Burton. Taking your age and health into consideration, I'm afraid I'd have to contact the emergency services if I continue with my findings. There is a reason why I'm sitting in this chair and you on the other side." I stated blankly at his pale face watching the way he gulped under my hard stare.