XVI. QUIDDITCH MATCH

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

As they entered November, the weather turned very cold. The mountains around the school became icy grey and the lake was like chilled steel. Every morning the ground was covered in frost. Hagrid could be seen from the upstairs windows, defrosting broomsticks on the Quidditch pitch, bundled up in a long moleskin overcoat, rabbit-fur gloves and enormous beaver-skin boots. 

The Great Hall was full of the delicious smell of fried sausages and the cheerful chatter of everyone looking forward to a good Quidditch match.

"Take a bit of toast, mate, go on," Ron said to Mia at the Gryffindor Table. Ron and Harry sat opposite Mia, who was dressed in her Quidditch uniform, with Hermione at her side.

"I don't want to eat anything," Mia said, looking sick to her stomach. Ron look concerned. 

"Ron's right, Mia," Harry said.

"You're gonna need your strength today," Hermione added.

"I'm not hungry," the youngest twin said as she looked at her brother and friends. 

"Mia," Ron said as she looked at him, "you need to eat, but we're not going to force you." Mia smiled weakly. 

Just as Mia went to reach for her drink, Snape approached their table. 

"Good luck today, Potter," he said, making the four first years look up at him surprised. "Then again, now that you've proven yourself against a troll, a little game of Quidditch should be easy work for you. . . . even if it is against Slytherin." 

He glanced at all four students before walking off, a slight limp as he went. Mia narrowed her eyes slightly. 

"That explains the blood," she said, more to herself than the others. Hermione looked at her confused.

"Blood?" she asked. Mia looked at her friends.

"Oh yeah I didn't tell you," the ginger girl said. "Anyway, last night, I'm guessing Snape let the troll in as a diversion so he could try and get past that three-headed dog," Mia said in a low voice to her friends, "but, he got himself bitten, that's why he's limping."

"But why would anyone go near that dog?" Hermione asked, shocked.

"The day we were at Gringotts, Hagrid took something out of one of the vaults," Mia said as she looked at Harry, "remember?" Harry nodded.

"He said it was Hogwarts' business," Harry said as Mia nodded, "very secret."

"So you're saying. . . ." Hermione began. 

"That's what the dog's guarding," Mia said, "that's what Snape wants." 

Mia's attention was caught at once by a long thin package carried by prongs. 

"Bit early for mail, isn't it?" Hermione asked, as Prongs soared down and dropped it right in front of her, screeching happily as he landed on her shoulder.