LXXVII. THE RESULT OF THE HEARING

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"Beautiful day."

It was mid-day and Mia, Harry, Ron and Hermione were walking through the courtyard, making their way down to Hagrid's.

"Gorgeous," Ron added, "unless you've been ripped to pieces!"

The twins exchanged confused looks as they walked behind the other two.

"Ripped to pieces?" Harry asked.

"What are you talking about?" Mia added.

"Ronald has lost his rat," Hermione said with a tone of annoyance as Mia and Harry exchanged looks.

"I haven't lost anything! Your cat killed him!" Ron snapped.

"Rubbish," Hermione snapped back, defending her cat.

"Guys, you've seen the way that bloodthirsty beast of hers is always lurking about. And Scabbers is gone."

"Well, maybe you should take better care of your pets!" Hermione snapped as Mia and Harry exchanged looks.

"Your cat killed him!" Ron retaliated back.

"Did not!" Hermione said as Mia pursed her lips in slight annoyance.

"Did."

"Didn't."

"How did it go, Hagrid?" Mia called. The four third years were sitting on the rocky beach while Hagrid was up to his knees in the water. "The hearing?"

"Well, first off, the committee members took turns talking about why we were there," Hagrid said as Mia chuckled, "I got up and did my piece. Said how Buckbeak was a good hippogriff, always cleaned his feathers. And then Lucius Malfoy got up." He sighed. "Well, you can imagine. He said Buckbeak was a deadly and dangerous creature who would kill you as soon as look at you."

"And then?" Mia asked, her voice shaking slightly.

"And then he asked for the worst, did old Lucius."

"They're not sacking you!" Ron said as Mia looked horrified.

"No, I'm not sacked," he said, shaking his head. "Buckbeak's been sentenced to death!" His voice shook with emotions as he threw the rock he was holding in his hands into the water, making a giant splash as Mia put a hand over her mouth.

Mia went down to breakfast the next morning with all the boys in Harry's dormitory, all of whom seemed to think the Firebolt deserved a sort of guard of honour. As Mia  entered the Great Hall, heads turned in the direction of the Firebolt, and there was a good deal of excited muttering. Mia saw, with enormous satisfaction, that the Slytherin team were all looking thunderstruck.