C. REPAIRED FRIENDSHIPS

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"That was excellent, Potter!" cried Professor McGonagall as she got off the Firebolt, which from her was extravagant praise. She noticed that her hand shook as she pointed at her shoulder. "You'll need to see Madam Pomfrey before the judges give out your score. Over there, she's had to mop up Diggory already. . . ."

"Yeh did it, Mia!" said Hagrid hoarsely. "Yeh did it! An' agains' the Horntail an' all, an' yeh know Charlie said that was the wors'. . . ."

"Thanks, Hagrid," said Mia loudly, so that Hagrid wouldn't blunder and reveal that he had shown Mia the dragons beforehand. Professor Moody looked very pleased too, his magical eye was dancing in its socket.

"Nice and easy does the trick, Potter," he growled.

"Right then, Potter, the first aid tent, please. . . ." said Professor McGonagall.

Mia walked out of the enclosure, still panting, and saw Madam Pomfrey standing at the mouth of a second tent, looking worried.

"Dragons!" she said, in a disgusted tone, pulling Mia inside. 

The tent was divided into cubicles. She could make out Cedric's shadow through the canvas, but Cedric didn't seem to be badly injured, he was sitting up, at least. Madam Pomfrey examined Mia's shoulder, talking furiously all the while. 

"Last year dementors, this year dragons, what are they going to bring into this school next? This is rather deep, you'll need stitches." 

She cleaned the cut with a dab of some purple liquid that smoked and stung, but then poked her shoulder with her wand, and she felt the needle go through her skin, stitching her back up.

"Now, just sit quietly for a minute, sit! And then you can go and get your score."

She bustled out of the tent and he heard her go next door and say, "How does it feel now, Diggory?"

Mia didn't want to sit still. She was too full of adrenaline. She got to her feet, wanting to see what was going on outside, but before she'd reached the mouth of the tent, three people had come darting inside, Hermione, followed closely by Harry and Ron.

"Mia, you were brilliant!" Hermione said squeakily. There were fingernail marks on her face where she had been clutching it in fear. "You were amazing! You really were!"

Mia said nothing as she stared at the three of them. Harry and Ron were very white and staring at Mia as though she were a ghost.

"Mia," Ron said, very seriously, "whoever put your name in that goblet, I-I reckon they're trying to do you in!"

It was as though the last few weeks had never happened, as though Mia were meeting Ron for the first time, right after she'd been made champion.

"Caught on, have you?" said Mia coldly. "Took you all long enough."