XXX. GILDEROY LOCKHART

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"Oh, Mia," Mrs. Weasley said as Mia walked up to her, "oh, my dear, you could have been anywhere. . . ."

Looking very relieved, she pulled a large clothes brush out of her bag and began sweeping off the soot Hagrid hadn't managed to beat away. Mia smiled as she stood in between her brother and Ron with her arms crossed.

"You excited?" Ron joked as Mia looked at him. 

"I'm about as excited to see him as I am Malfoy," she said as Ron and Harry laughed.

"Ladies and gentlemen," said the owner of the bookshop, "Mr. Gilderoy Lockhart." 

Every female, excluding Mia, burst into applause. 

"Here he is," Mrs. Weasley said breathless as she subconsciously fixed her hair. 

"Mum fancies him," Ron told Mia, who laughed when Mrs. Weasley hit her son in the chest.

Gilderoy Lockhart came slowly into view, seated at a table surrounded by large pictures of his own face, all winking and flashing dazzlingly white teeth at the crowd. The real Lockhart was wearing robes of forget me not blue that exactly matched his eyes, his pointed wizard's hat was set at a jaunty angle on his wavy hair.

A short, irritable looking man was dancing around taking photographs with a large black camera that emitted puffs of purple smoke with every blinding flash.

"Out of the way, there," he snarled at Ron, moving back to get a better shot. "This is for the Daily Prophet. . . ."

"Big deal," said Ron, rubbing his foot where the photographer had stepped on it.

Gilderoy Lockhart heard him. He looked up. He saw Ron and then he saw Mia. Harry however, had bent down to tie his shoe up. He stared. Then he leapt to his feet and positively shouted, "It can't be Euphemia Potter?"

The crowd parted, whispering excitedly. Lockhart dived forward, seized Mia's arm, and pulled her to the front. The crowd burst into applause as Ron and Harry laughed at the ginger girl who had a look to kill on her freckled face as Lockhart shook her hand for the photographer, who was clicking away madly, wafting thick smoke over Harry and the Weasleys.

"Nice big smile, Mia," said Lockhart, through his own gleaming teeth. "Together, you and I are worth the front page."

When he finally let go of Mia's hand, she could hardly feel her fingers. She tried to sidle back over to the Weasleys, but Lockhart threw an arm around her shoulders and clamped her tightly to his side.

"Ladies and gentlemen," he said loudly, waving for quiet. "What an extraordinary moment this is! The perfect moment for me to make a little announcement I've been sitting on for some time!"

Mia was looked incredibly bored. 

"When young Euphemia here stepped into Flourish and Blotts today, she only wanted to buy my autobiography, which I shall be happy to present her now, free of charge. . . ."