X. THE FEAST

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"Your attention, please." 

Mia looked up from talking to Ron and saw Dumbledore had risen from his golden chair. 

"Let the feast. . . . begin."

Mia's blue eyes went wide. The dishes in front of her were now piled with food. She had never seen so many things she liked to eat on one table. Roast beef, roast chicken, pork chops and lamb chops, sausages, bacon and steak, boiled potatoes, roast potatoes, fries, Yorkshire pudding, peas, carrots, gravy, ketchup, and, for some strange reason, peppermint humbugs. The Dursleys had never exactly starved Mia, but she'd never been allowed to eat as much as she liked. Dudley had always taken anything that she really wanted, even if it made him sick. 

"Are, are we allowed to eat whatever we want?" Mia asked Ron who looked surprised she asked that.

"Yeah of course," he said, "why wouldn't you be allowed?"

"Oh, usually we're not allowed to eat this much food. I get told I eat too much so I usually don't eat a lot," Mia said casually as Ron looked almost upset that she said that. 

"You're allowed to eat whatever you want," he said, "nobody's gonna tell you to stop." Mia smiled as she piled her plate with a bit of everything except the peppermints and began to eat. It was all delicious. Ron kept an eye on Mia as she ate. 

"Wow," Harry said from Mia's left. 

As they ate, the talk turned to their families.

"I'm half and half," said sandy haired Seamus Finnigan. "Me dad's a Muggle. Mam's a witch. Bit of a nasty shock for him when he found out." Beside him, Neville laughed as Mia and Harry looked at Ron's older brother, Percy.

"Say, Percy," Harry said, "who's that teacher talking to Professor Quirrell?" 

"Oh, that's Professor Snape," Percy told the twins, "head of Slytherin house." 

"What's he teach?" Mia asked.

"Potions," Percy told her, "but everyone knows it's the Dark Arts he fancies. He's been after Quirrell's job for years." 

Next to Mia, Ron had just finished a chicken wing and dropping it onto his plate, he reached out to grab another one. Just as he picked it up, a ghost's head popped out, startling the first years.

"Ahh!" Ron exclaimed, dropping his chicken wing. 

"Hello!" said the ghost, "how are you? Welcome to Gryffindor."

Just at that moment, hundreds of ghosts came flying into the Great Hall, through the doors, the walls, the floors and Mia laughed. 

"Hello, Sir Nicholas," Percy said as the ghost flew out of the chicken, "have a nice summer?"

"Dismal," said the ghost, looking at Percy, "once again, my request to join the headless hunt has been denied." He turned his head and was about to float away when Ron stopped him. 

"I know you!" Ron called, "you're Nearly Headless Nick!" Nick turned back to him.

"I prefer Sir Nicholas if you don't mind," he said stiffly.

"Nearly headless?" Hermione asked from opposite Mia, "how can you be nearly headless?"

"Like this," Nick said. 

He seized his left ear and pulled. His whole head swung off his neck and fell onto his shoulder as if it was on a hinge. Someone had obviously tried to behead him, but not done it properly. Looking pleased at the stunned looks on their faces, Nearly Headless Nick flipped his head back onto his neck, coughed and floated away. 

Mia smirked lightly as she watched Nick float away.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Gryffindors, follow me, please. Keep up. Thank you." 

The Gryffindor first years followed Percy through the chattering crowds, out of the Great Hall, and up the marble staircase.

"Ravenclaws, follow me," said the Ravenclaw Prefect and he lead the Ravenclaw students in the opposite direction of the Gryffindors.

"This is the most direct path to the dormitories," Percy said, "oh, and keep an eye on the staircases, they like to change." 

Mia looked up at the hundreds of staircases changing and she and Ron exchanged looks.

"Keep up, please, and follow me," Percy ordered as he walked up a staircase to their left. "Quickly now, come on. Come on." 

As they began to walk up the staircase, pictures on the walls began to move and greet them. 

"Seamus, that picture's moving!" Neville said, pointing while Mia laughed at a man bowing to her.

"Look at that one, guys!" Ron said, pointing to the picture of a young girl who curtsied to them and waved.

"I think she fancies you," Harry said as Mia snorted with laughter.

"There you go then," Mia said, "somebody other than your mother loves you."

"Oh shut up," Ron said laughed as Mia grinned.

"Oh, look! Look! Who's that girl?" A girl behind them said as Mia grinned.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," a man in a painting said as Mia smiled.

"Who's that?" a girl behind Mia asked, looking at the man.

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Mia, Ron, Harry and the rest of the first years were following Percy down an empty corridor of the seventh floor. Mia furrowed her eyebrows when they came across a portrait of a fat lady in a pink silk looking dress with dark brown hair. 

"Password?" the Fat Lady asked, looking at Percy. 

"Caput Draconis," said Percy.

The Fat Lady nodded in confirmation and the portrait swung forward to reveal a round hole in the wall. They all scrambled through it, Neville needed a leg up, and found themselves in the Gryffindor common room, a cozy, round room full of squashy armchairs. 

"Follow me, everyone," Percy called as everyone looked around, "keep up, quickly, come on."

"Oh, wow," a girl with blonde curly hair said.

"Gather 'round here," Percy instructed as they gathered around him in the common room. "Welcome to the Gryffindor Common Room. Boy's dormitories, upstairs and down to your left. Girls, the same on your right. You'll find that your belongings have already been brought up.

"Goodnight guys," Mia said to Harry and Ron.

"Goodnight Mia," Ron said smiling. 

"Night Mia," Harry said, waving as his sister waved goodbye as she followed the rest of the girls. She was sharing a dorm with Hermione Granger, Lavender Brown, Parvati Patil and Tracey Davies. 

At the top of a spiral staircase, they were obviously in one of the towers, they found their beds at last. Five four-posters hung with deep red, velvet curtains. Their trunks had already been brought up. Too tired to talk much, they pulled on their pyjamas and fell into bed.

Mia climbed into bed and smiled as her owl, which she decided to name Prongs, flew next to her and rubbed his head against hers. She smiled as she stroked Prongs' soft grey head. 

"We'll be alright," she said smiling as Prongs hooted softly then flew off to his stool by the window. Mia smiled at him as she laid down in her bed and was asleep in seconds.