LXXVIII. LIKE FATHER LIKE DAUGHTER

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Mia woke as suddenly as though she'd been hit in the face. Disoriented in the total darkness, she fumbled with her hangings and saw the other girls looking just as confused. 

"What the fuck?" Mia asked, looking panicked as she heard muffled yelling from Harry's dorm. "Harry," she mumbled.

Her heart dropped into her stomach. She scrambled out of bed, grabbed her jumper and put it on as Prongs flew onto her shoulder as she sprinted to Harry's dorm and opened the door. Dean Thomas had lit his lamp and Ron was sitting up in bed, the hangings torn from one side, a look of utmost terror on his face.

"What the hell happened?" she asked, looking around the room.

"Black! Sirius Black! With a knife!"

"What?"

"Here! Just now! Slashed the curtains! Woke me up!"

"You sure you weren't dreaming, Ron?" said Dean.

"Look at the curtains! I tell you, he was here!"

Mia and Harry exchanged looks. They all scrambled out of bed and they sprinted back down the staircase. Doors opened behind them, and sleepy voices called after them. 

"Who shouted?"

"What're you doing?"

The common room was lit with the glow of the dying fire, still littered with the debris from the party. It was deserted.

"Are you sure you weren't dreaming, Ron?"

"I'm telling you, I saw him!"

"What's all the noise?"

"Professor McGonagall told us to go to bed!"

A few of the girls had come down their staircase, pulling on dressing gowns and yawning. Boys, too, were reappearing.

"Excellent, are we carrying on?" said Fred brightly as Prongs flew onto Mia's forearm and rubbed his fluffy head against her arm. She smiled weakly and stroked his soft head. 

"Everyone back upstairs!" said Percy, hurrying into the common room and pinning his Head Boy badge to his pyjamas as he spoke.

"Perce, Sirius Black!" said Ron faintly. "In our dormitory! With a knife! Woke me up!"

The common room went very still.

"Nonsense!" said Percy, looking startled. "You had too much to eat, Ron, had a nightmare. . . ."

"I'm telling you. . . ."

"Now, really, enough's enough!"

Professor McGonagall was back. She slammed the portrait behind her as she entered the common room and stared furiously around.